Bafang BBS01 Crank Drive Kit

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Any reviews on this kit? I'm interested because it can solve a lot of problem with good climbing ability and still able to go up to 30mph?

D

Deleted member 4366

I tried the 250w one and then the 48v 750w one. Neither of them will get you to 30mph except downhill. The GNG Gen2 at 36v and 22 amps is a lot more powerful than the 250w one and about the same as the 750w one. It will do about 25mph with a light guy like you. At 48v it's a lot more powerful than both of them, but you can't pedal that speed, so it becomes a moped. The first gen GNG is even more powerful. The Bafangs are smoother and quieter, which is understandable with less power. The 250w one is not as powerful as a Bosch or 36v Panasonic, but a little more than the TCM in the Woosh, so about 20 to 22mph on the flat. It's possible that the one they were calling 750w is now the 350w one because it was only slightly bigger than the 250w one.

The TCM motor didn't really respond to over-amping, and I suspect that the Bafang will be the same because the actual motor is relatively small.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
So you tried them all and they are no better than you dual cute?

I was thinking because it's more efficient in acceleration it should be more efficient in general. 25mph max speed should be enough

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Hey d8veh - if you were going to fit an aftermarket crack drive kit to a full sus mtb for off road use only )as in mountain biking) - would you choose the Bafang or GNG?

nippynoo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 15, 2013
It's possible that the one they were calling 750w is now the 350w one because it was only slightly bigger than the 250w one..
Thanks d8veh for the useful info. Do you know if Kevin Fang is also selling the slightly bigger one? I like the idea of 350W (as in my original link). I couldnt see a link in his shop?

But is the 350W motor bigger than the 250W (111mm dia)? Or is it just the same motor, with more volts?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Hey d8veh - if you were going to fit an aftermarket crack drive kit to a full sus mtb for off road use only )as in mountain biking) - would you choose the Bafang or GNG?
They're entirely different. The GNG Gen 2 is much more powerful, but a lot more agricultural. The Bafang is a fully developed product that you can fix to your bike and forget.

I don't believe that the Bafang offers enough advantage over a decent hub motor. It'll be like the TMC. It'll get you up steep hills, but you'll need to do a lot of pedalling too. Some people like that sort of thing, but those that can't be that energetic will need to choose a high-torque hub motor. I'm relatively heavy, so it doesn't have enough power for me. Lighter riders will find it better, but that might apply to hub-motors too.

The 750w one (now possibility the 350w one) has thicker wire in the motor windings, which is why it needs to be bigger. It's only the motor housing, not the whole unit, and there's only a couple of millimetres in it.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Do you mean if the crank drive was as big as a hub motor... Then it will be better? :cool:

D

Deleted member 4366

Do you mean if the crank drive was as big as a hub motor... Then it will be better? :cool:
Of course. Look at the size of the actual motor in the GNG units and compare that with any of the others. There is an exception though. The RC motors like that one you had on the scooter can make a lot of power by spinning fast, and with a lot of noise, so with the right reduction system, they could work well. They need high currents that means special batteries as well, so not really feasible for normal punters.

Don't forget that the 8Fun and TMC crank-drives are aimed at the European market, so limited to 250w.

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
The BBS01 already sells at GBK:

36V 250W bafang motor 2013 New model BBS01 Centeral driven Motor for electric bike kit conversion-Greenbikekit.com online store for electric bicycle components-GreenBikeKit.com

Two questions:

1. There is no throttle apparently, is this a problem?
2. Is it known in which bikes the motor can be installed? I am thinking especially in folding bikes, which could present a problem for the motor width in the fold. Even one could think about adding this motor to a Brompton?

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi the New 8fun mid drive BBS - 01 for 20214 will come in 24 / 36 /48 volt 250 / 750 watts 15 A / 18 a / 25 a sine wave controller inside 46 T / 48 T / 52 T / chain wheel with 3 different types off LCD displays and different voltages 24 / 36 / 48 volt

Frank

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
Are you stocking these kits Frank?

Do you have the 750w version?

Last edited:

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Hi the New 8fun mid drive BBS - 01 for 20214 will come in 24 / 36 /48 volt 250 / 750 watts 15 A / 18 a / 25 a sine wave controller inside 46 T / 48 T / 52 T / chain wheel with 3 different types off LCD displays and different voltages 24 / 36 / 48 volt

Frank
Are the possible combinations only 24v with 15a, 36v with 18a and 48v with 25a? Or is it possible to combine them? What is the highest possible combination Euro-legal?

What are the differences among the displays?

Is it known which foldable bikes accept this motor? I have been looking at pictures of folded bikes, and it seems as if Brompton fold is too narrow to accept this motor, but Oris / Mezzos maybe could (they are wider, and the folded wheel seems quite far away from the frame even when folded).

I assume most 20'' wheels Dahon-style accept this motor.

ghost

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2013
The BBS01 already sells at GBK:

36V 250W bafang motor 2013 New model BBS01 Centeral driven Motor for electric bike kit conversion-Greenbikekit.com online store for electric bicycle components-GreenBikeKit.com

Two questions:

1. There is no throttle apparently, is this a problem?
2. Is it known in which bikes the motor can be installed? I am thinking especially in folding bikes, which could present a problem for the motor width in the fold. Even one could think about adding this motor to a Brompton?

Good price if i was brave i might order one. assume its from china. where has all the uk stock gone, sold i suppose.
Re fitting i think they look best on bikes with steeply inclined downtubes because the motor can be rotated around to give maximum ground clearance. This also puts the body of the motor further within the normal confines of the frame shape which makes it look less like an add on.

To Frank of xipi, will you have any exclusive sales rights on these in the uk as you seem to be most proactive in offering a kit to the uk public? What i mean is are they making a batch especislly for you to those specs? Any indication when they might land in the uk? I only ask as i am ready to buy one now (if i could find one to buy in the uk!) but will wait for your high power versions if they are due soon ish. Tbh i want just the 36v motor unit and display not a whole kit, but if you get a 48v high power version i would probably buy that with a batt. mine is 36v.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi It was woosh bikes that had some 36 volt kits no batteries call them see if the have any left they bought them in as spares for there crank drive bikes

Frank

ghost

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2013
I emailed. them twice but no response, i assume they have none left. Perhaps i will try pming hatti on here. I also thought they had motors called tcm which use a larger bb on the bikes they sell

ghost

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2013
Awesome d8veh i will have a proper look tomorow. Not bad price as it comes with a throttle. D8veh i have read so much now and got a bit overloaded with info. Can you pm or reply the following if you can remember, is it mag. Trick for the display with integrated buttons (no adjustable speed limit), but blue el display has digital limit lifted by dual press of bar mounted buttons. Is there any of the displays / integrated controllers that cant be delimited as i think there is a 3rd type of display i know nothing about.
I think this cd keeps pulling regardless of rider cadance, doesent tail off or anything, just varies assistance via the selected level on display like a hub would.

Looking to spin an 11 rear with the supplied 46 or 48 front i forget what it comes with now. currently got a 50/14 .lwant to lean as much on the motor as i can get away with, basically help high. up the gear range. I know its never going to give much as its small but will it give any appreciable assist do you think at this level. Its an ally road bike build on a new frame btw.