bafang bbs01b 250/350w are identical but different price

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Its only a trivial thing i know,im being petty but i think its pretty cheeky. Ive noticed all uk sellers of these motors charge around £10 more for the 350w compared to the 250w. but after a little research discovered they are absolutely identical in every way.Same motor,with same controller. The only difference is the programming of the controller to 18amps instead of 15amp and possibly a couple of other minor settings changes. THAT doesnt cost a single penny extra,so why the price difference?
I admit i only bought the 350w because the seller had sold out of the 250w and i was as usual too excitedly impatient. I thought at the time ,the chances of being stopped by the police on a non uk legal bike unlikely in the extreme. But at least im getting a bit more power for hills in exchange for that tiny risk and the extra £10. Now im peeved. I could have had a motor with a legit 250w stamped on the case,£10 extra in my pocket and changed the settings myself without risk to the motor and controller,as its the same. let this be a lesson to others who think they're getting more for the price.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Its only a trivial thing i know,im being petty but i think its pretty cheeky. Ive noticed all uk sellers of these motors charge around £10 more for the 350w compared to the 250w. but after a little research discovered they are absolutely identical in every way.Same motor,with same controller. The only difference is the programming of the controller to 18amps instead of 15amp and possibly a couple of other minor settings changes. THAT doesnt cost a single penny extra,so why the price difference?
I admit i only bought the 350w because the seller had sold out of the 250w and i was as usual too excitedly impatient. I thought at the time ,the chances of being stopped by the police on a non uk legal bike unlikely in the extreme. But at least im getting a bit more power for hills in exchange for that tiny risk and the extra £10. Now im peeved. I could have had a motor with a legit 250w stamped on the case,£10 extra in my pocket and changed the settings myself without risk to the motor and controller,as its the same. let this be a lesson to others who think they're getting more for the price.
But to change the settings you require a programming cable, which is about 20 quid. So you would be £10 out of pocket anyway.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Bafang designed the product range and set the wholesale price.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Bafang designed the product range and set the wholesale price.
I don't sell the 36V 18A BBS01 anymore, but Bafang charged me $10 for the privilege.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
But to change the settings you require a programming cable, which is about 20 quid. So you would be £10 out of pocket anyway.
Cheers, thats cheered me up,as i had no intention of fiddling with manufacturers settings anyway.just had read thats what people do. Id leave that to more serious types that know what they are doing and want every last drip of performance.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Cheers, thats cheered me up,as i had no intention of fiddling with manufacturers settings anyway.just had read thats what people do. Id leave that to more serious types that know what they are doing and want every last drip of performance.
You know me well :)

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
My experience says different. Got the programming lead and every time i put it above 15 amp i get a no 11 error which i interpret as the moss fetts in the controller are being overworked so i looked into it a bit and find there is a different controller in the 350 watt version. Check with Greenbikekit. When i have a bit of cash i will be getting the 350 watt controller and fitting it, no hurry though as my 250 watt is doing fine, but i was a bit disappointed because i spent £20 in the hope of turning my 250 into a 350. I suppose the old adage applies here " if it seems too good to be true it probably is".

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
My experience says different. Got the programming lead and every time i put it above 15 amp i get a no 11 error which i interpret as the moss fetts in the controller are being overworked so i looked into it a bit and find there is a different controller in the 350 watt version. Check with Greenbikekit. When i have a bit of cash i will be getting the 350 watt controller and fitting it, no hurry though as my 250 watt is doing fine, but i was a bit disappointed because i spent £20 in the hope of turning my 250 into a 350. I suppose the old adage applies here " if it seems too good to be true it probably is".
I would keep the max amps at 15A and program the 'Keep Current' to a higher level, up to a max of 100%. See if that improves performance.