Bafang bbs01b and Hailong battery

Neil K

Just Joined
Dec 12, 2017
Manchester
I've bought a BBS01B and started to fit to my bike (boardman hybrid).

Things were going well until I bought a Hailong 36v 15.5AH battery from Ebay.

Firstly, the connectors on the battery don't fit the connectors on the bbs01b. Do I need to use some form of connector (Anderson 45) to connect them? Is this usual?

Also, there aren't any holes in the battery mounting frame (though there are solid round cirlces where it looks like holes should be), is this normal?

See images.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

You don't need a connector on the battery. You can just solder the wires together if you want.

The slots on the HL case are high up the frame and rarely line up with the bottle fixings, so you have to drill your frame and install your own rivnuts in the correct position.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
FWIW my battery mount didnt have holes in the right place either, so rather than drill my frame I drilled the battery bracket - without a drill press I used a 1.5mm in a Dremel to do a pilot hole and went up from there. If the bracket has metal in the right places it should be fine

malkie0831

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2016
GB
I've bought a BBS01B and started to fit to my bike (boardman hybrid).

Things were going well until I bought a Hailong 36v 15.5AH battery from Ebay.

Firstly, the connectors on the battery don't fit the connectors on the bbs01b. Do I need to use some form of connector (Anderson 45) to connect them? Is this usual?

Also, there aren't any holes in the battery mounting frame (though there are solid round cirlces where it looks like holes should be), is this normal?

See images.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Your battery cables have the inner connectors for the Anderson's attached. You will need another pair for the cable to the BBS01.

These will be fine:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5Pairs-30A-Amp-600V-Power-Marine-Connector-Pole-Red-Black-For-Anderson-Powerpole/262313912274?epid=1088865985&hash=item3d1320a7d2:g:xL0AAOSwZtJW-7e4

I like connectors on my battery leads so I can disconnect the battery if I park my bike in public. To stop interested little fingers pressing buttons and trying to drive the bike out of it's chain....

DouglasXK

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
Oxford
The Boardman hybrid frames have the bolts on 65mm centres which is exactly the centre of the slots on the Hailong case. The holes in the frame aren’t high enough up by about 65mm. The correct way to install the case is with the output aperture/cables pointing down. In that position only one of the bolts match and the second, lower, bolt is in line with the transition from plastic to aluminium shown in the second of your 2 photos. You’ll be drilling through the internal electrical connector. I have heard of someone gluing the Aluminium shown in your photo to the frame because otherwise only 3 2.5mm screws hold it in place. You either abandon the idea and just turn the Hailong case round and put up with rain potentially pouring in at the top or do something else.

I fabricated an Aluminium plate 200x30x5 and drilled 3x5mm clearance holes, bolted it to the frame with the lower 2 holes and used the upper to spot a riv-nut M5 which requires you drill a straight 7mm hole. The frame, though, is in the way especially for the 7mm drill. If you’ve got a right angle drill attachment fine otherwise dremel it. Once fimished, the bottom hole attaches the plate directly to the frame with a counter sunk M5 and the upper 2 bolts use the bottle screws that are already there.

An M5 Aluminium rivnut is pretty straightforward which is the only saving grace.

I’m happy with this because you end up with the case being supported through 3 attachments to the frame. Your battery will weigh between 2.6 to 3.1kgs which isn’t easy being supported with just a couple of bolts. These bottle cage bolts don’t support much more than a kilo?

Good luck!

Last edited:

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
Hi Neil I have the equipment to fit you a couple of Rivnuts, if you can get your bike & battery to me in Nelson. PM me if interested.

Steve

Neil K

Just Joined
Dec 12, 2017
Manchester
Hi all, thanks for your help.

It turned out the battery was fauly too, so I sent it back and bought a battery that fitted my frame.

All is working great now.

Thanks again for your help.