Bafang BBSHD kit from Electron

PhiltheFluter

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 9, 2019
Hi,
I'm thinking of ordering this kit from Electron cycles :

Does anyone have any experience buying from them? I'd love to hear +/- feedback.
Or does anyone know of of other UK stockists of similar kits? I'd looked at Dillinger, but they seemed quite pricey. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Also I havent made my mind up yet which donor bike I was going to put the kit on, except I'll be picking something robust, priced at £500-£1000. Any ideas would be very helpful.
I'm going to be looking in a couple of secondhand bike shops this week, but I'll also pop into Halfords and see what they have. If all else fails, I like the look of the Carrera Crossfire 2, I just need to see build quality.
Although I'd prefer a mountain bike/road hybrid, due to health reasons I'll be needing a more upright sitting position. I'd spotted some American "cruiser" style handle bars that I'm hoping will give me that - and a big soft saddle.
I've had numerous operations and have been left with half my intestines. My normal sitting position on a mountain bike leaves me in agony after 5 minutes, so I'm going to need to be upright or even sitting slightly back. Any ideas regarding this would be much appreciated as I've previously got away without having to adjust much in the way of posture. If I find a knowledgeable assistant at Halfords they may be able to give me pointers, but I'm not hedginging my bets.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For comfort then maybe a time to try out a bent (Recumbent) for size, albeit
a case of mastering the new ride position and then add an electric kit.

Reactions: PhiltheFluter

PhiltheFluter

Jun 9, 2019
For comfort then maybe a time to try out a bent (Recumbent) for size, albeit
a case of mastering the new ride position and then add an electric kit.
That's a great idea, thanks. I have a fairly local private shop that'll let me have a try out. Most of my riding will be off road - cycle trails/towpaths/ and bridal ways, but initially I'll only be using it in dry-ish weather. It may suit me without having to change anything. I've just had a Google and there's tons on the market. Best do some more research. We're luckily spoilt for choice with "bricks&mortar" shops in London.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Main thing with 'Bents' are the new or resale prices they are not cheap as demand isn't high.
Currently an option I'm considering and looking in to the future as I age. Less stressful riding, a more comfortable riding position and less riding effort for same gain or more.
Likely for a conversion will be a crank drive motor with a double chain ring as I currenlty have with my BBS01 and an Aline 8 on the rear.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Are you sure that a 52V BBSHD is the right kit for you. They're not very relaxing and can do a lot of damage/wear to your drive train. Did you think about a high torque hub-motor, like a Bafang BPM or MAC that are much better suited to touring type riding?

PhiltheFluter

Jun 9, 2019
Are you sure that a 52V BBSHD is the right kit for you. They're not very relaxing and can do a lot of damage/wear to your drive train. Did you think about a high torque hub-motor, like a Bafang BPM or MAC that are much better suited to touring type riding?
I think you're right there, it does look a bit extreme looking at what else is about. I think I may buy it anyhow and install it as a gift for my nephew, that way I'll get to have a go on it.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
They're OK for a bit of short term fun, but you oon get fed up of it. If you need dicent power for general touring, utility riding around, a 500W Bafang BPM hub-motor at 48v with a 25 amp sine-wave controller takes some beating. I just built one for my . nephew, who has mobility issues. He took to it like a duck to water and loves it. Much cheaper and more reliable than a BBSHD too.

Reactions: PhiltheFluter

Poppey Pettit

Just Joined
Dec 6, 2019
I bought a complete bike from them 9 months ago with a bbshd and 17.5 shark and its been excellent. I smashed the 850c screen after 6 months falling off and they sold me replacement at cost (i believe it was cost as it was cheaper thane even a display form China on ebay).Bought a second kit for the wife two months. Gave me a free install tool and then wife dropped the bike and smashed the half twist throttle - they replaced free!