Bafang bearings replacment

Gilk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 2, 2018
Shardlow
The crank bearings on my bafang mid drive have started to give up, there is play in the shaft that you can see and feel. Mostly you can see it on the left side. How easy is the bearing replacment? and where do I get them? Also is it worth pulling the rest off the motor down to check everything, it has done 2800 miles.?

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The crank bearings on my bafang mid drive have started to give up, there is play in the shaft that you can see and feel. Mostly you can see it on the left side. How easy is the bearing replacment? and where do I get them? Also is it worth pulling the rest off the motor down to check everything, it has done 2800 miles.?
I'm interested in this as the owner of a 600 mile BBS01. It is completely silent so far, I really have to struggle to hear any sound from the motor. I suspect that the UK seller may have repacked it with grease before i got it. To be fair, the idea of having to tear down a small motor bike engine at around 2500 miles probably went out by the 1930s, and certainly none of my motorbikes have needed any attention beyond the oil change maintenance expected of high speed petrol engines, but they are hammering around much much faster than these wee electric ones, and putting out far more power. They do have bearings speced for the job mind you and are very well lubricated. My 17000 odd miles, twenty two year old CG125, sounds like a new engine, as does my cb250 with 14000 miles, but they have pretty massive bearings and high pressure lubrication. At 11hp and 20 Hp they are working vasty harder though than these ebike motors and typically have crank shafts rotating at 100 revs a second. These small commuter bikes well looked after regarding engine oil maintenance are known to run to 75000 miles.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

peter is a member here so just send him a email or pm ;)

Reactions: Gilk

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My BBS01B has done about 1200 noise free miles so far. Replacing the bearings looks time consuming judging by Youtube videos on the subject, not looking forward to the prospect. It'll have to happen sometime - what's Peter's username?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thanks! I'll have to get stuck into replacing the bearings sometime. I read somewhere that the nylon gear is a bit of a weak point on the Bafang bbs01-types, that'll have to swapped out sometime too.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can get metal ones but it will make more noise.

and if you think there hard to service dont even go there with brose motors!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
you can get metal ones but it will make more noise.

and if you think there hard to service dont even go there with brose motors!

Thanks for the link (but that's just for the HD? I don't think they do metal gears for the 01s) - I don't mind noise, if it means I don't have to open it up as often. Servicing Brose looks like a freaking nightmare, compared to the Bafang bearing replacement videos I've seen (can't seem to find them now, was awhile ago), which looked fiddly enough...

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if it is made in china im sure peter will find something and not cost 100 quid ;)

Gilk

Apr 2, 2018
Shardlow
Ive had another look at the offending part and I am hoping its just the left hand bearing, its the one on the end off the bit that goes through the pedle crank tube. It apears to have more play on the left.

Gilk

Apr 2, 2018
Shardlow
I'm interested in this as the owner of a 600 mile BBS01. It is completely silent so far, I really have to struggle to hear any sound from the motor. I suspect that the UK seller may have repacked it with grease before i got it. To be fair, the idea of having to tear down a small motor bike engine at around 2500 miles probably went out by the 1930s, and certainly none of my motorbikes have needed any attention beyond the oil change maintenance expected of high speed petrol engines, but they are hammering around much much faster than these wee electric ones, and putting out far more power. They do have bearings speced for the job mind you and are very well lubricated. My 17000 odd miles, twenty two year old CG125, sounds like a new engine, as does my cb250 with 14000 miles, but they have pretty massive bearings and high pressure lubrication. At 11hp and 20 Hp they are working vasty harder though than these ebike motors and typically have crank shafts rotating at 100 revs a second. These small commuter bikes well looked after regarding engine oil maintenance are known to run to 75000 miles.
Lets hope it lasts longer and cheeper, than my Ducati ST2's stator and rec/reg, they went at 5000 miles.

Reactions: Tony1951

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This looks fiddly:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I don't think I have the tools, for when it's time to replace the bearings on mine...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

peter is a member here so just send him a email or pm ;)
Does Peter The Bearings Man take delivery of Bafangs and mail them back all fixed with new bearings, or does he just supply them? Looks like a bloody nightmare if he just supplies the bearings...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
he can fully service most motors if he can source the correct bearings for them cost will depend how hard it is and how long it will take and when he can fit you in.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
he can fully service most motors if he can source the correct bearings for them cost will depend how hard it is and how long it will take and when he can fit you in.

Thanks, that's good to know - when the time comes I might just buy a new bbs01 high torque version from Brighton bikes, I can't be off the road... till I get the bbs01b back, then buy a new battery and make another ebike, then sell the first one.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Lets hope it lasts longer and cheeper, than my Ducati ST2's stator and rec/reg, they went at 5000 miles.
Yeah - I think Honda reliability is better than most. I also have a Triumph Street Twin and it is little used at under 10,000 miles, but I bet it won't last as long as the hondas will.