Bafang bearings replacment

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if he has the parts you could get it back in 3-4 days but imo it is going to cost over 100 quid for parts and labour + vat.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
...then it'd probably be another £100+ for nylon gear replacement = £200+ which isn't all that far off buying a new motor... on the other hand attempting to do it myself is a matter of tools, time and mistakes. But it aint time yet, thank fsck.

Gilk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 2, 2018
Shardlow
Ok its all back together again:) The bottom bracket bearings had gone, well the needle roller ones had. The bottom bracket has 2 needle roller bearings and 2 caged roller bearings. Only the needle rollers has gone. I got the needle roller ones 'off the self ' from a local bearing company for about £10 each, but could not get the seal as its a very odd size. Had to get the seal from china via ebay, for £7, as the only one I could find in europe was 16 euros and 33 euros postage. The only problem I found was that the tube, that holds the bottom bracket, needs a little heat to both nock the old ones out and put the new ones in, not too much as there is electronics near and you dont want to melt the solder.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Ok its all back together again:) The bottom bracket bearings had gone, well the needle roller ones had. The bottom bracket has 2 needle roller bearings and 2 caged roller bearings. Only the needle rollers has gone. I got the needle roller ones 'off the self ' from a local bearing company for about £10 each, but could not get the seal as its a very odd size. Had to get the seal from china via ebay, for £7, as the only one I could find in europe was 16 euros and 33 euros postage. The only problem I found was that the tube, that holds the bottom bracket, needs a little heat to both nock the old ones out and put the new ones in, not too much as there is electronics near and you dont want to melt the solder.
Heating up is very common with knocking out & in, some bearings. Using a gas torch can be dangerous for both insulation and solder.....
Just to be safe, I usually use a hair dryer on hot, and its usually enough.
To further be safe, with wiring I hide it behind aluminium foil or completely remove from the area, when I can...
Well done, and if it ever needs to be done again, you know how!
You may have also helped some people here too!
Andy

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
When fitting the new bearing stick it in the freezer for a while to shrink it. Less heat needed in the casing then.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
When fitting the new bearing stick it in the freezer for a while to shrink it. Less heat needed in the casing then.
Would that make your balls brittle, for a time? Would your balls shatter if used before they warmed up? o_O

Reactions: jimriley

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Are all bearings of a certain size equal? How is ball strength defined? What should one look for, when selecting new balls for Bafang motors? Are some ball types better than others? I know they use frictionless ruby balls in some watches.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Are all bearings of a certain size equal? How is ball strength defined? What should one look for, when selecting new balls for Bafang motors? Are some ball types better than others? I know they use frictionless ruby balls in some watches.

If your balls are red it's time to worry.

• :D
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited: