bafang clutch

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
For those who wonder what`s inside the Bafang hub motor clutch. I have just replaced my misbehaving clutch and although having seen a similar photos on the Webb I thought I`d share mine. Couldn't resist opening it up. I had all the same problems as another member https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/strange-pas-problem.37381/ I tried all the advice given to no avail and decided to change the clutch, now all is working as before. I might add that this clutch has survived 2 years and 6000 miles before it gave trouble. I have heard others have failed much earlier.

Attachments

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
I’m the guy in the other post. It turned out that my clutch was also the issue. I couldn’t source another one the same for my shengyi motor (strange size and number of teeth) so in the end I removed it and soaked it in solvent for a few hours. Re-oiled / greased the relevant bits and it’s still going strong 1000+ miles later. I think the lubrication goes hard with age and stops the internals from moving freely.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My BPM clutch is quite accessible and no riveted plate to remove to gain access to the springs/pins.
My 8fun cst has some 9k miles on it and a part from a bearing change have been faultless.

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
I think you are correct about the lubricant hardening/thickening. Yes and the thought of levering up the center of the plate i`v removed and getting some lubricant in there has occurred to me now I know where all the relevant bits are, or even drilling small holes to lubricate now I have a template. Those rollers do not move much from the position they`r in now. I was lucky SWX02 clutches are easily available, teeth and bearings all fine. If I was desperate I think I could reattach the side with countersunk Allen screws. Just glad its all fixed and can get out of the habit of preparing myself for difficulties if I stop pedaling. ;-)

Last edited:

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
In post #1 I linked another post where I stated that I had changed my controller. This was from lishui to KT I have to say that with the KT set to torque/current control this is so much better than the speed control of the lishui.