Bafang Lights

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
I Have 36v lights front and back directly connected to the motor battery (nice and bright). Because I'm not keen on my fuggly mechanical light switch, I wondered how to use the built in light switch on the DPC-14 and newer BBS02 to achieve this. Surely a simple 6v relay on the bafang light output to switch the higher volatge circuit would be a smart solution?

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
Yes a relay would work remember the diode for the back emf off the coil
Not an electrician, although I know what diode/emf and coil are, I don't understand the circuit you suggest or the reason (looks like a saftey feature?). I've seen ready made boards on ebay for a few bucks, but they have built in delay timers, although they can be set to 0.1 secs, but they are ready built with screw terminals, no soldering. Assume they already have your safety feature built in?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The coil emf can be nasty and I do not know how the light output is done on the bbs it used to be an old trick on the apprentices hold the wires on this:D most of the ready made pcb will already have it a cheap relay of ebay might not

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
The coil emf can be nasty and I do not know how the light output is done on the bbs it used to be an old trick on the apprentices hold the wires on this:D most of the ready made pcb will already have it a cheap relay of ebay might not
Got one of these for a few quid, tested and works well off 6v (High Level - Signal on Live) - mine is quoted at DC 28V10A max but lights total will be around 36v1A. Just need time to wire in. Fits (just) inside the shark battery connector.

Attachments