Bafang or MXUS hub motor?

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Which do you think is better?

I've never had a MXUS motor, but I've got a couple of Bafangs. Recently I've been looking for a new motor, but prices have jumped and there are fewer available. MXUS tend to be a bit cheaper than Bafang and I was wondering if there is a reason why?

Which would you chose? MXUS XF08 or a Bafang SWX type 250W motor?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
But if you had a choice of one over the other, what would you go for?
MXUS. I've never really taken to Bafangs, probably because I've had to fix so many, but the reason I've had to fix more Bafangs than anything else is because there are more of them than anything else.

Personally, I prefer motors with a high reduction ratio, like all the Aikema motors because they give more torque for their size and have slightly higher climbing efficiency.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Bafang charge 20% more for the same thing but their quality control is the best among Chinese motors.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
MXUS. I've never really taken to Bafangs, probably because I've had to fix so many, but the reason I've had to fix more Bafangs than anything else is because there are more of them than anything else.

Personally, I prefer motors with a high reduction ratio, like all the Aikema motors because they give more torque for their size and have slightly higher climbing efficiency.

Ok, that's interesting. What tends to go wrong with the Bafangs? Is it the whole range, or just one particular model?

Where would you get an Aikema motor from and which model would you recommend?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Water ingress is the worst fault on Bafang hub-motors. There was a batch of incorrectly shimmed front motors, where the bearings failed, the odd stuck clutch and a couple of hall sensors. Apart from the shims, which were a manuacturing error, you could get those faults on any similar motors.

Aikema make their own clutches, and they're less prone to failure unless you let the water in. You can get them from BMSBattery (Q- series) or Greenbikekit (QQ-series) and various other places. They're sometimes marked "AKM".

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
AKM from topbikekit as well.