Basic cycle maintenance.

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
I have a Cytronex which uses a standard Trek 7.3FX. I have been wondering whether it would be worthwhile learning how to do basic maintenance on it.

Whenever I have taken anything off a bike (a long long time ago), it tended to stay off, especially the complicated looking bits, like the dangly thing which hangs off the rear wheel.

I don’t remember ever getting the gears to work properly again after removing the rear wheel to repair a puncture.

Does anyone know of any good books, sites where I can learn the basics? I would probably buy an old banger to practice on before getting too carried away.

Thanks

Steve

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Steve

Dangly thing = rear mechanism. :)

Enter Bicycle maintenance courses into Google and you'll see there are courses in various parts of the country and you may find a convenient one.

This link in particular has courses in many parts of the UK:

CTC other maintenance courses

There are suitable books as well and others may recommend those they know of.

RedSkywalker

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2008
I know exactly how you feel - it's a long, long time since I did any work on a bike but I've signed up for a bike maintainence class at the local college - one evening a week for 6 weeks for £32 - money well spent I reckon! Why not have a look and see if any of the local colleges are running courses.

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately flecc, none of those are near me, I will give Google and the local college a try.

Steve
Flecc, You mean that dangly bit actually has a name.......?
I can remember calling it a few things .... (;0)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc, You mean that dangly bit actually has a name.......?
I can remember calling it a few things .... (;0)
You aren't alone in that! It's probably the greatest source of frustration among cyclists not used to bike maintenance, and even to quite a few who have knowledge. Once properly learnt they aren't really a problem though, but I think most of the bikes kids ride are out of adjustment after the first couple of months and stay that way until they finally hit the skip.

Citrus

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2007
Sheldon Brown-Bicycle Technical Information
Park Tool Website

I find the Sheldon Brown website very useful explaining the basics, that's how I picture Flecc.

Hmmm..... I doubt flecc would be flattered to be compared physically to Sheldon. :D Intellectually and knowledgwise I think that they are on a par with each other (or were, sadly Sheldon is not longer with us). From what I can gather flecc is a trim 70kg 5' 6" tall gent, certainly not similar to Sheldon's build when he was alive.

westminehead

Just Joined
Aug 19, 2008
As a newbie can I just say hello to everyone and say its good to contribute alittle (thanks Russell for registering me) as well as reading informative, good humoured, occcasionally quirky comments. I live in Minehead, Somerset & will be looking to buy a pedelec this autumn. The interest started back in May when I tried the Cytronex at Presteigne; still a favourite choice if piggybank allows.
Like Encantador, I wished to learn more about bike maintenance & found the video clips on Bikes, Bike Reviews, Cycling Routes, Race News - BikeRadar easy to understand.

Well that's enough from me

Rob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A warm welcome to the forum Rob, we have quite a few members in Somerset and I hope you are soon able to get onto e-wheels. Still, with our topsy turvy seasons now, winter will probably best for dry weather and sunshine. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the video clips tip.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
When all else fails I have a trawl though Youtube, usually manage to find a video which at least points me the right direction

Lloyd_50cycles

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2008
Nottingham
The only recognised body for cycle maintenence training is Cytech. Various different levels are available from home enthusiast level through to hydraulic disc brake service, and advanced wheel building. Although not cheap this is by far the best training anyone can have for fixing our two wheeled friends! The company that provides the training is ATG (Aylesbury Training Group), originally based in Aylesbury, bucks they now offer courses in Manchester too. (Unfortunately still miles away from you I think.)

Aylesbury Training Group - Home

Alternatively Training for Professional Cycle Mechanics ofer the same course in Milton Keynes.

Another option is to go down the self taught route, Haynes(the car manual experts) publish an excellent manual for bicycle maintenence and it covers pretty much every situation you're likely to encounter. Available at Halfords last time I checked.

All the best

Lloyd