Review Basis Beacon 2019 Review

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
2. How do I get the walking throttle to work?

I have the same LED display on a different model of bike and walk assist works by holding down the minus key for a 3-4 seconds.

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
2. How do I get the walking throttle to work?

I have the same LED display on a different model of bike and walk assist works by holding down the minus key for a 3-4 seconds.
It seems to work in any mode 1,2,3 Its just slow.

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
If you were planning on migrating to Jersey ebikes direct might be able to advise on the throttle issue. Let me know if you chase it up.

ben jsy

Just Joined
Oct 12, 2020
I've recently purchased this bike for my commute to work, I've looked into derestricting it as I would prefer having abit more top end speed as the majority of my commute is a long stretch of cycle track, has anyone got any advice for increasing the speed of the power assist to 20-25 MPH? any tips would be appreciated

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
The issue of modding is painfully debated here and could result in criminal prosecution or a civil lawsuit from your victim after an accident. Over 15mph in the cold air hurts the face more. Rain starts to sting too. Personally I don't think it is worth the risk or aggro. I just listen to podcasts and chill.

Reactions: Johnocyprus
D

Deleted member 33385

I just listen to podcasts and chill.

Can you hear traffic at the same time?

The issue of modding is painfully debated here and could result in criminal prosecution or a civil lawsuit from your victim after an accident. Over 15mph in the cold air hurts the face more. Rain starts to sting too. Personally I don't think it is worth the risk or aggro.

I came to the same conclusion. If you think that discussion about modding is lively, ask pedelecers if helmets should be mandatory.

Last edited:

Lemonjuicees

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 11, 2021
Hi, I'm looking to purchase this bike. I was wondering if the 2021 model will be worth it as I don't have a massive budget and need to be sure this bike will be ok.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi, I'm looking to purchase this bike. I was wondering if the 2021 model will be worth it as I don't have a massive budget and need to be sure this bike will be ok.
It's still all the standard stuff, so nothing to raise any concerns. The only negative point I can see is the gearing. A 14 tooth top gear is too low for an electric bike. It'll be annoying after a while, but £20 to £25 gets you a DNP freewheel, with 11T, which will fix it if it bothers you. The 8.8 Ah battery is a bit small by modern standards, but replacements and upgrades are readily available when you can afford it.

Lemonjuicees

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 11, 2021
It's still all the standard stuff, so nothing to raise any concerns. The only negative point I can see is the gearing. A 14 tooth top gear is too low for an electric bike. It'll be annoying after a while, but £20 to £25 gets you a DNP freewheel, with 11T, which will fix it if it bothers you. The 8.8 Ah battery is a bit small by modern standards, but replacements and upgrades are readily available when you can afford it.
Thankyou for your reply, I will certainly look to upgrade in the future.
I will look into the DNP freewheel change for sure. With a replacement battery it will be difficult as it's semi integrated. What would you recommend?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thankyou for your reply, I will certainly look to upgrade in the future.
I will look into the DNP freewheel change for sure. With a replacement battery it will be difficult as it's semi integrated. What would you recommend?
It's a standard battery that they put in many bikes. You can get them from lots of suppliers.

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
The walk mode is literally that. Set from 0 to 1,2, or 3 then twist the throttle. It will drag you up a hill nicely.. but at walking pace.