Basket for front of Pro Connect

swinnerton

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
My partner and I are loving our Pro Connects and trying to use them for as many journeys as possible ...however we would really like to fit baskets to the front to enable us to carry more shopping ....any suggestions advice would be welcome.:)

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
My partner and I are loving our Pro Connects and trying to use them for as many journeys as possible ...however we would really like to fit baskets to the front to enable us to carry more shopping ....any suggestions advice would be welcome.:)
haha welcome to the UK! You have a few decisions to make. I know cos i went thru them when getting a basket for my agattu.
Obviously the position of your front light means you either need a shallow basket that fits on your handlebars or moving the light.

You also need to decide if you want to leave the basket on the bike permanently or just have it on and off occasionally.

I wanted one that i could take off easily , keep secure if needed and that didnt involve moving my light. I went for a rixen kaul lockable bracket and matching unilux basket. We already have a rixen kaul bar bag and map case, so it means the bar bag and basket are swappable between all our bikes.

This system works ok, but because its set so high it does unbalance the ride slightly and thats on the Agattu. I actullay notice it more when the bike is lightly laden, when its full of food and i've got more Food and My boy on the back its ok. On the flat bar pro-connect it will be even worse. The lighter the basket the less you'll notice it when empty. The one i bought is the heaviest,

The cheap equivalent of this is the cheap 'hooked' ones that just hook over the bars. They have a rep of scratching up your bike so they seem a false economy on pedigree steads like ours. Halfords do a non lockable ugly plastic one.

Klickfix have a german site with a full range of products and crucially prodcut details. Rixen & Kaul, KLICKfix Adaptersysteme Fahrradzubehör, Solingen, Taschen, Körbe, Werkzeug

Dont ask me about moving the lights. There are a lot of options eg front of basket , fork mounted etc, but they all compromise either visibilty or convenience.

The other extreme for baskets is to mount a frame on the front forks\axle\ that supports a big strong basket. These are mounted lower, so tend to compromise the ride less, but are obviosuly fairly permanent. You'll need to ask someone in the know about these.

I need to stick this on my blog.....

PS of course the next step along is a trailer. Not a bad idea if you want to really load up the shopping. The pansonic is the engnie to handle it.
Big trailer thread on CTC at the minute

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
From experience - avoid any basket which pushes the gearchange cable out of its natural curved position - my agattu kept slipping out of top gear and it took me a while to realise that the new basket was responsible.