BATAVUS E-GO lost charger

petem

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 28, 2019
hi i recently purhased a 15yr old batavus e-go using a 24v 5ah battery driving a yamaha 235 w hub motor. unfortunately i had the charger stolen shortly afterwards . can anybody advise
where / how i might get a charger for it ? or should i get another battery with charger what spec would i need (eg min / max volatage / ampage/wattage . also does anybody
know the three pins that the battery slots onto.

any help much appreciated (for this newby)

PHOTO S ATTACHED

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's a Yamaha crank motor Pete, not a hub motor which are in wheel motors.

These used NiCad batteries for a while and later NiMh batteries, if yours really is 15 years old probably the latter. NiCad batteries are no longer made for environmental reasons and it's difficult to source good quality NiMh D cells that these batteries used.

Do you have a battery with it for the case to be re-celled? Also to help with the connections, was the charger a base type on which the battery sat to be charged?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was hoping it used a base charger since that would have made the third battery connection the one for the battery's thermistor.
I don't know the unit's connections on these, the third one could be for temperature regulation or other monitoring.

With NiCad or NiMh batteries it's usually best to have them recelled with modern lithium cells using only two connections, positive and negative, but I can't recommend that in this instance since I don't know if the unit will run without that third connection.

Is your battery working ok do you know? If so, you could open it up to check whether the cells are marked NiCad or NiMh so a charger can be recommended.

If its dud, it may be possible to recell it and a charger bought to match.

Last edited:

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
Nice to see a old bike getting revamped
Hope you get it sorted soon

petem

Apr 28, 2019
I was hoping it used a base charger since that would have made the third battery connection the one for the battery's thermistor.
I don't know the unit's connections on these, the third one could be for temperature regulation or other monitoring.

With NiCad or NiMh batteries it's usually best to have them recelled with modern lithium cells using only two connections, positive and negative, but I can't recommend that in this instance since I don't know if the unit will run without that third connection.

Is your battery working ok do you know? If so, you could open it up to check whether the cells are marked NiCad or NiMh so a charger can be recommended.

If its dud, it may be possible to recell it and a charger bought to match.
sorry for delay gettting back (sometimes cant get online ) , the battery is good , all lights light up . was wondering these might be an option :

your help appreciated

petem

Apr 28, 2019
sorry for delay gettting back (sometimes cant get online ) , the battery is good , all lights light up . was wondering these might be an option :

your help appreciated
hi Flecc PLEASE DISREGARD THOSE LINKS i ve tracked down the correct charger

thanks for your help in this
pete

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Neither of those is any good for your battery. It has to be a 24 volt circa 2 amp charger, but it's also necessary to have one matching the battery's internal NTC thermistor rating.

The trouble is I've no idea what that is on that old e-bike.

This charger* will be suitable, but you'd need to order the thermistor as well in case the one in your battery wasn't the right rating. BUT if the thermistor has to be changed, you'll need to have the necessary skills to open up the battery, locate the thermistor and install the new one in exactly the same position and with the same soldered connections. You'll also need to charge the connector for the battery to the right type, which from your photo looks like a kettle connector like this one. You'll also need to get the three connections right. The charger site tells you which wires are which for the charger, but you'll need to get the kettle plug connectors matching your battery positive and negative connections. The centre (top) connection in the battery charge socket is usually the thermistor one.

Please note though that there's another possible problem. Just because the battery operates the lights, that's no indication it can power the motor with the much higher current needed.

If the battery is as old as the bike, it's quite likely it won't be good enough, so there are risks in spending on this.

* Personal imports from the USA will usually have an import and VAT charge added, often plus a courier collection surcharge.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
hi Flecc PLEASE DISREGARD THOSE LINKS i ve tracked down the correct charger

thanks for your help in this
pete
I'd just finished posting a reply before seeing yours Pete!!

Never mind, I'm glad you located the right charger and hope the battery proves to be ok.

paulbike

Just Joined
Nov 28, 2019
Hello Pete, I have the same problem and was wondering if you could help me track down a charger as well, regards
Paul

petem

Apr 28, 2019
hi paul googling batavus e-go charger or whatever you ve got should bring stuuf up , also yamaha is the same from this era .also marketplaats has plenty - its a dutch ebay , must google translate each page into
Hello Pete, I have the same problem and was wondering if you could help me track down a charger as well, regards
Paul
Hello Paul Google model info and same for Sparta and Yamaha (same kit) also try marketplaats which is a Dutch auction site you ll need to Google translate the pages good luck Pete