Help! Batribike Advice Please

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Afternoon fellow Pedelecers. Just a quick question. I'm thinking of buying a second hand Batribike Diamond step through electric bike, as I'm now struggling to get my 'leg over'. In more ways that one. Ha. Ha. :D Joking aside. This bike as a problem insomuch as the pedal assist and throttle no longer works. I know this is not the best e-bike in the world but it suits my current budget. Just wanted to know if anyone as owned one of these before and may have had a similar issue? Or maybe someone will know what the problem may be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Afternoon fellow Pedelecers. Just a quick question. I'm thinking of buying a second hand Batribike Diamond step through electric bike, as I'm now struggling to get my 'leg over'. In more ways that one. Ha. Ha. :D Joking aside. This bike as a problem insomuch as the pedal assist and throttle no longer works. I know this is not the best e-bike in the world but it suits my current budget. Just wanted to know if anyone as owned one of these before and may have had a similar issue? Or maybe someone will know what the problem may be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
It's not the pedal assist and throttle that's not working. It's the rest of the bike. Throttles and pedal sensors can't really break.

There are several versions of that bike. Which one is it?

Unless the owner can prove that the battery has recently been replaced with a new one, you must count on replacing it at a cost of about £250. Don't try and judge the battery by the indicator lights nor by measuring the voltage

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
It's not the pedal assist and throttle that's not working. It's the rest of the bike. Throttles and pedal sensors can't really break.

There are several versions of that bike. Which one is it?

Unless the owner can prove that the battery has recently been replaced with a new one, you must count on replacing it at a cost of about £250. Don't try and judge the battery by the indicator lights nor by measuring the voltage
As far as I can tell from the photos it is a Batribike Diamond step-through. I've attached an image of this. I do know a guy who recells batteries at a competitive price. In fact he did the one on my current E-Plus bike. I'll have to contact him to see if he is still doing them?

Batribike 4.jpg

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some Batribikes I thought used Canbus, just make sure this one doesn't.

• Agree
Reactions: flash

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
Have you thought of putting a dropper seat post on your current Ebike. It makes it a lot easier to get your leg over and will be much cheaper if you get a budget one.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
As far as I can tell from the photos it is a Batribike Diamond step-through. I've attached an image of this. I do know a guy who recells batteries at a competitive price. In fact he did the one on my current E-Plus bike. I'll have to contact him to see if he is still doing them?

View attachment 51738
That doesn't help. There are twelve different versions of that bike - different batteries, different control systems, different motors and different brakes.

A re-cell will be more expensive than a new battery.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
That doesn't help. There are twelve different versions of that bike - different batteries, different control systems, different motors and different brakes.

A re-cell will be more expensive than a new battery.
OK. I am going to take a look at it a little later on today. I was hoping it may just be the controller box at fault? But who knows until delving deeper. Just as a point of interest. The last recell I had done was just £80. About a third of the cost of a replacement battery for my current bike.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Canbus is a digital communication system between the battery, display, controller and motor. If the bike uses a canbus system it’s very difficult to replace existing components with aftermarket parts, because the new parts won’t communicate with the old parts.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't understand what you have posted. Thanks
It alludes to that which was posted in #7, one needs to know for sure which control system is fitted anything with CANbus interface is a no no to buy as a used bike unless one wants to replace all the electonics with generic stuff.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
AFTER READING REPLIES I'VE DECIDED, VERY RELUCTANTLY, NOT TO PURCHASE.
£80 is a fair price. It would be worth about £300 to £350 when fixed with a good battery. With a new battery and control system for about £300, you could have a bike that'll go and last you as good as any cheap new one that would cost about £700 from Ebay.