Batribike Alpha - derestrict speed

MaverickUK

Just Joined
Jan 12, 2019
I'm considering purchase a Batribike Alpha for a 16 mile commute that I need to complete in no more than an hour.

It seems like a good bike for this purchase, with a pannier rack , mug guards and lights built in.

My own real concern is that the 15 MPH limit is too low to make the journey within this time.

I understand the legal implications of removing a speed limit from a bike. However this aside, is it even possible with this type of bike? From searching online I could not find any information how this particular bike would be modified?

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I'm considering purchase a Batribike Alpha for a 16 mile commute that I need to complete in no more than an hour.

It seems like a good bike for this purchase, with a pannier rack , mug guards and lights built in.

My own real concern is that the 15 MPH limit is too low to make the journey within this time.

I understand the legal implications of removing a speed limit from a bike. However this aside, is it even possible with this type of bike? From searching online I could not find any information how this particular bike would be modified?

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Start FAR earlier, probably 60 minutes earlier will do it and legally and more safely!
As you will need far more than just a small speed increase to achieve your goal, you need to probably double the speed to achieve what you want on normal roads with traffic.
Any police officer, even one not in uniform, sitting in his car, will notice that speed difference immediately....they are not that stupid! You will be charged and your bike crushed.
Battery may also not "last" long enough, if you are fast enough either!!
Furthermore, the likelihood of having an accident will be dramatically increased....not good!
If you are still determined to do it, you need to get the bike registered, insurance and a tax disk!! As a motorbike.
I cannot say how easy/difficult that might be in the UK. Here it is theoretically possible, but I know of no one who has actually managed it!
You would probably be better off with a 80 - 125 cc Motorbike,!! Or at least an electric motorbike, not an e-bike.
See here:-
https://www.bikesure.co.uk/bikesureblog/2018/03/your-complete-guide-to-electric-motorcycles.html
Regards
Andy

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I think it is most unlikely that the speed restriction will be removable on this bike without replacing the controller and display, which will of course void your warranty. If you want a higher speed consider looking for a suitable bike and fitting a kit yourself, it's pretty straightforward if you do your own bike maintenance. Look at the hub kits from Woosh on here or Yose Power.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits

https://www.yosepower.com/en/product/Hub-Motor-36V350W-Black-Hub-Motor-with-Cassettle-for-Rear-Wheel-26"-&-HL1-36V13Ah-Battery-Conversion-Kit-DIY-E-bike-110.html

I should add that Woosh do not condone de-restricting their kits and this would also void your warranty.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you want more speed there are ways but this is not the sub forum to discuss in.
Also use the search section of the forum as this general question has been answered to death many times in means and ways of achieving.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I think you need to look again. To do 16miles in one hour your average speed must be 16mph. Allowing for traffic lights, junctions, traffic queue's etc, this would mean doubling capability to at least 30mph. It's likely that the motor would hit magnetic saturation long before achieving the rpm necessary - no matter what you do.
Wind resistance at this speed is way higher than at 15mph, thus you would need a bigger high drain battery. The brakes on the bike are configured for lower speeds and less weight so would need upgrading.
Car drivers do not expect cyclists to be going this fast, if they see you in the first place, they are still likely to pull out on you having mis-judged your speed.
The standard bike helmet is configured for a 12mph impact!
Sorry to rain on your parade, but you did ask:)

Reactions: artspeck

MaverickUK

Just Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Thanks for all the useful responses all.

To provide some context, my journey is made up of quiet rural roads and cycle tracks. So I'm ideally looking to maintain a 15-20MPH average.

I've been cycling for years to a local train station, but I'm considering using an electronic assisted bike so that I can make the full journey without a train.

I'd like to be able to make the full journey by bike. However I don't think I can make the full journey in the time required without an extra boost that an electric bike would provide.

It's possible that I'd be OK without removing the limit on the bike. It's hard to know without trying the full journey. But I'd potentially need to purchase the bike before I could try this.

So it's all a bit chicken and egg

Touquet2k

Just Joined
Sep 11, 2018
Some Halfords branches allow to hire an ebike for around 48 hours so you can try that first. I had the same dilemma, but ended up getting the bike anyway. Haven’t regretted it at all. My 15 mile commute to central London takes anything from 1hr 5mins to 1hr 10mins - mostly it’s waiting at traffic lights that slows you down. I also do a lot of peddling above 15.5mph under my own steam which probably pushes my average speed up a bit but you get the bonus of more exercise. Not enough to need a shower once I arrive at the office though.

Vandazler

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 11, 2018
Thanks for all the useful responses all.

To provide some context, my journey is made up of quiet rural roads and cycle tracks. So I'm ideally looking to maintain a 15-20MPH average.

I've been cycling for years to a local train station, but I'm considering using an electronic assisted bike so that I can make the full journey without a train.

I'd like to be able to make the full journey by bike. However I don't think I can make the full journey in the time required without an extra boost that an electric bike would provide.

It's possible that I'd be OK without removing the limit on the bike. It's hard to know without trying the full journey. But I'd potentially need to purchase the bike before I could try this.

So it's all a bit chicken and egg
I know this is a very contentious issue and understand why many on here are absolutely against using speed enhancing technology. The government could ban pedelecs outright or insist on everyone taking out insurance if there was spate of accidents due to the higher speeds unrestricted pedalecs can reach. Due to the extra weight of the battery and motor collisions can be argued to be more dangerous but this argument can be countered by saying a 70 Kg rider on a 10Kg normal bike is only the same as a 60Kg rider on a 20Kg pedelec and the impact force would be similar at the same speed. Some would argue against this I’m sure,saying unrestricted bikes travel much faster,but I would argue most normal drop handle racing bikes reach 20mph easily on the flat . The fact is there hasn’t been a spate of accidents so far and no reported convictions as far as I’m aware. In reality riding an unrestricted bike as I do doesn’t mean you are going hell for leather all the time and self preservation means you rarely go beyond 20 mph on the flat,especially if you want to do more than 20 miles on a single charge. I regularly ride with a friend who doesn’t have any extra assist fitted and sometimes struggle to keep pace with him due to using lower power settings to preserve my battery. The FOCUS bike he rides doesn’t have the same ‘treacle’ lag my Bosch motor suffers with and this is when my extra assist comes in useful to keep up with him. Obviously I can wack it in to turbo for short burst to get myself out of a tricky situation if necessary and occasionally do,but not for long. Battery life and range is everything as you will find out yourself. It is possible to do 16 miles in a hour if you are not stopping and starting and use a higher power level to average 16-18 mph on flat terrain. Wether or not you have enough battery life left for the return journey is another thing. An extra charger would be the key. Good luck and safe riding.

Last edited: