Batribike Breeze, low geared...help..

Krowlands

Just Joined
Feb 25, 2017
Shrewsbury
I'm several months into owning a batribike breeze, which I'm very much enjoying - it's small, it folds, I can cycle with the kids without leaving them behind, I can step trough the frame etc.

My only issue with it is, the gearing is too low for my tastes. Flat out, I can't pedal "fast" enough to reach the motor cutoff speed without looking like a demented hamster on a wheel..

Otherwise, I'm quite happy with it - I would just like more speed. OK, I know 20" wheels aren't going to match my old MTBs, but..advise me, good people, on my options here.

It's Shimano 44t/14-28t as standard according to the brochure. What in your opinion is best to do?

Many thanks all..

Reactions: artspeck

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A new chain wheel 52t.

• Agree
Reactions: OldBob1

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A dinner plate chainwheel may impact the fold, so a smaller cassette on the back is the safer option.

Steve100

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 3, 2017
scotland
I had the same problem with my Breeze.
I changed my chainwheel to 52T
It does not impair the folding action and it helps with the gearing problem

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

Cancunia

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2021
Same problem here, pedals too fast even at 15mph in top. I need a bigger chainwheel but the original is fixed to the crank so I'm guessing that I need another chainwheel & crank set (chainset)? Are they all standard sizes for the square hole on the cranks?

Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Same problem here, pedals too fast even at 15mph in top. I need a bigger chainwheel but the original is fixed to the crank so I'm guessing that I need another chainwheel & crank set (chainset)? Are they all standard sizes for the square hole on the cranks?

Thanks
DNP 11/28 freewheel from Ebay or Aliexpress. Already eplained above.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
DMP will be cheaper then new chain wheel/cranks.

Last edited:

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
I had the same problem with my Wisper SE Folder and considered all of the options suggested here.
That is until THE PENNY DROPPED!
I realised that with a cadence sensor bike like these types are, I only had to rotate the pedals as slowly as is comfortable to get FULL POWER. I now never have to change out of top gear, which is gear seven. I ride full time on maximum assist which is level five, rotate the pedals at a steady pace without putting any effort into it at all, and I can maintain a steady 12-15 mph. Problem solved- no expense.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Cancunia

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2021
Luckily, the Breeze has a twist grip so no need to turn the pedals and is partly why I bought an older bike. My problem is that I like to go at more than 15 mph, but still like the idea of a battery assist to do it so that I can go further and still get a bit of exercise.
I've been looking at prices of chain/crank sets vs cassettes and surprisingly the cranksets are often cheaper, for example:

In addition to price, there's the question of how quick things will wear out, I have no idea about the quality of the item above, but a smaller cog will wear quicker than a larger one as less teeth have a greater load.
If anyone with a Folder has changed the front chainwheel it would be interesting to know what they bought and how it has lasted.

Cancunia

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2021
I bought a 52 / 42 T chainwheel on eBay for £25. I would've bought the Decathlon posted above and tried that, but no shops are near to me & Decathlon have / had suspended deliveries.

So far, I'm very pleased with the result. I can now pedal at up to 18 mph and changing to the lower gears along with the motor assistance has got me up the steepest hills around where I live without problems.