Batribike

Shazz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 9, 2019
Me again sorry, I’ve found a second hand Batribike dash for sale, I’m aware this is now an obsolete model and at least 4 yrs old. My Q is would battery need replacing and roughly how much? Would this count as a throttle bike if I couldn’t pedal much? Is it worth a gamble??? Thanks ped friends x

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
The Batribike Dash came fitted with a thumb throttle. It seems there were 3 models provided between 2012 and 2015. How the throttle is configured may vary. If the battery is 4 or 5 years old it’s quite likely to be past it. Batribike provide replacements but don’t advertise a price. I would guess around £200 - £250. Alternatively you could get the battery re-celled by Jimmy at Insat and this might work out a little cheaper.

Reactions: Shazz

Shazz

Jan 9, 2019
Seller is asking £500 but I think this is over priced, what are your thoughts please?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I agree. Perhaps depends on exact model and battery. They did a 15ah battery version on the later models. If it were a 2015 model with the bigger battery (and the battery was still good) maybe it would worth something approaching that. Otherwise I would have thought about half that amount would be my view. I think the earlier bikes were £799 when new. Even if never used, a 5 year old Ebike is only worth 25-33% of original price.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Your BB Dash is similar to my (newly bought) Quartz, judging by my Quartz these bikes are superbly made and capable of lasting many years, what’s important is IT’s WORTH TO YOU, some depreciation is unavoidable.

BB advertise replacement batteries at around £380 but only for current production cycles, my battery experience tells (shouts at) me to AVOID BATRIBIKE REPLACEMENTS, Why?

Because having more recently bought a BB Trike20 for my wife the first thing I noticed was that the battery fuse holder was missing so no safety fuse?
On both sides of the battery case is an impressive plastic chrome Batribike anti-tamper seal / label - so I broke these in order to look inside the battery case inside of which was an astonishing sight of the fuse location having been plugged off with a blank grommet and the internal fuse holder space having been filled in with a piece of black foam held in place by white tubed adhesive poured liberably over batteries, wires and foam blocks. WOW! What a mess, at moment I’m awaiting delivery of a fuse holder and 30a fuses to at least make the battery safe,
But if a future replacement battery is needed then JIMMY’s in north London is where I shall go.

D3144944-04E8-4358-9C0B-482809E41A6B.jpeg
Note missing fuse

Last edited:

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
For some reason uploading of photos has suddenly failed?

Jim

Shazz

Jan 9, 2019
Your BB Dash is similar to my (newly bought) Quartz, judging by my Quartz these bikes are superbly made and capable of lasting many years, what’s important is IT’s WORTH TO YOU, some depreciation is unavoidable.

BB advertise replacement batteries at around £380 but only for current production cycles, my battery experience tells (shouts at) me to AVOID BATRIBIKE REPLACEMENTS, Why?

Because having more recently bought a BB Trike20 for my wife the first thing I noticed was that the battery fuse holder was missing so no safety fuse?
On both sides of the battery case is an impressive plastic chrome Batribike anti-tamper seal / label - so I broke these in order to look inside the battery case inside of which was an astonishing sight of the fuse location having been plugged off with a blank grommet and the internal fuse holder space having been filled in with a piece of black foam held in place by white tubed adhesive poured liberably over batteries, wires and foam blocks. WOW! What a mess, at moment I’m awaiting delivery of a fuse holder and 30a fuses to at least make the battery safe,
But if a future replacement battery is needed then JIMMY’s in north London is where I shall go.

View attachment 28491
Note missing fuse
Thank you for info, much to consider. I really only want a moped bike to go on up to 5mile trips without having to pedal but it seems a bit of a mine field, especially considering I don’t have lots of money to spend. There does appear to be quite a few various models for £350-450 on eBay but worried they won’t last. Plus buying replacement batteries isn’t as simple as one would think. Grrrrrr!!

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Shazz, like you I don’t have a lot of money to spend on e-bikes, this is the reason I bought 2nd hand but chose carefully, in my opinion its the battery that I expect to expire first - the heart of any pedelec, and I’m prepared to accept that along with its inconvenience of replacement, but considering my choice of cycle it is a small price to pay even if at 81 I also have to consider the cost of my ‘hole in the ground’ or wherever my not be too far away.

As far as buying replacement batteries is conserned you have been given the best information that it is possible to get based on the experience of much better informed folk than I, - so the only inconvenience here would be to persons choosing to ignore this advice.

Jim

Last edited:

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
I have just used Jimmy’s services at BGA, 7 days from battery collection to re-celled battery returned to me, very good service, 30 new cells giving 36v
15.6 Ah and up to 3000 discharge cycles - all for £315 inc courier collection and return.
I’ve am really impressed with the SERVICE.

Jim

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You don't need a fuse on most electric bike batteries because the management system has that function included. It's probably a case that dated back to before batteries had management systems, like nihms, nicads SLAs and some early lithium ones.

I see a lot of battery cases with fuses in that aren't connected.

Last edited:

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Now that BOTH my bike batteries are properly fused I’ll sleep more easily, the sight of a battery fire can be quite terrifying.

Jim

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
In case the above was a bad explanation, the battery management system, often referred to as the BMS, which is the printed circuit board in the battery, has over current protection. It is sensing the current leaving the battery all the time, even when it's switched off and it trips off when there's any short circuit so you don't burn anything. It's like the trips that you have on a modern consumer board except that it resets itself when the current goes back down.

I'm only explaining why there is often no fuse in an electric bike battery, but if it makes you sleep better you can fit one.

Last edited: