Battery Care Tips?

Cancunia

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2021
You've been reading the wrong stuff. That's how to manage lithium cells, not how to look after an ebike battery. Your battery is managed by a BMS. You can hope what you like. It won't change anything. We gave you good advice. Do something different if you want then come back and tell us how we'll it worked (or didn't). While you're at it, you might as well put your brake discs on backwards if you like to take irrelevant advice from the Internet rather than people that know what they're talking about.
I'm sorry, I thought ebikes used lithium cells?
Remind me of your 'good advice', was it this :
"Don't run the battery to its cut-off point if you can avoid it. Always charge your bike to full before you ride it unless you're only going for a short ride. "

Cancunia

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2021
I forgot this link in my apparently misguided post above, it refers specifically to 18650 cells, as used in quite a lot of e-bikes. The link has a neat table of voltage vs capacity, but does have a caveat about voltage being an approximate measure of capacity.

Cancunia

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2021
Carry on if you know better.
I don't know better as I'm totally new to this e-bike world, but that does not stop me reading and asking questions. I'm happy to be advised based on links to technical info or anecdotal experience. Discussion & debate, not dogma.

BTW, how do you put the brake discs on backwards, I'd like to try it...

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I'm sorry, I thought ebikes used lithium cells?
Remind me of your 'good advice', was it this :
"Don't run the battery to its cut-off point if you can avoid it. Always charge your bike to full before you ride it unless you're only going for a short ride. "
VFR's advice above pretty much sums up how to treat your ebike battery. There is nothing wrong with reading up on lithium cells, but as he says, alot of this refers to SINGLE cell care, not packs of multiple cells controlled with a BMS, which is what we deal with here. It's very true that the life of cells can be extended by charging to 80-90%, BUT unless you have a smart programmable BMS, which I don't think you do, you run the risk of your pack becoming unbalanced, which leads to reduced range, because your generic BMS starts to ballance at around 95%. If you read through some of the threads I linked to above, you will gain more knowledge relivent to ebike packs, than random info on the web.

Cancunia

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2021
VFR's advice above pretty much sums up how to treat your ebike battery. There is nothing wrong with reading up on lithium cells, but as he says, alot of this refers to SINGLE cell care, not packs of multiple cells controlled with a BMS, which is what we deal with here. It's very true that the life of cells can be extended by charging to 80-90%, BUT unless you have a smart programmable BMS, which I don't think you do, you run the risk of your pack becoming unbalanced, which leads to reduced range, because your generic BMS starts to ballance at around 95%. If you read through some of the threads I linked to above, you will gain more knowledge relivent to ebike packs, than random info on the web.
Thanks for the summary, much appreciated. Point taken re battery packs as opposed to single cells & balancing. I will have a read through the threads you linked, but the number of results from your search to go through (almost 800) was a bit daunting. I expect that the results will condense into less actual threads tho.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
BTW, how do you put the brake discs on backwards, I'd like to try it...
Take the wheels off, remove the six screws that hold the disc on each wheel, flip the discs over and screw in the 6 screws. Finally, reassemble the wheels to your bike. Enoy your new braking experience.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Take the wheels off, remove the six screws that hold the disc on each wheel, flip the discs over and screw in the 6 screws. Finally, reassemble the wheels to your bike. Enoy your new braking experience.
Hope he doesn't end up in a state similar to SW mate then, no brakes can't stop,
The design of rotors with spoke like direction is so that they are in tension when fitted correctly reverse them and they are in compression. One could be inviting an off as some stage when failure occurs.