Battery chargers

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
Hi, I realise battery chargers get warm but mine seem rather warmer than I am used to. I have never had ebike chargers before, just comparing to other tyoes.
Thanks

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi, I realise battery chargers get warm but mine seem rather warmer than I am used to. I have never had ebike chargers before, just comparing to other tyoes.
Thanks
I tend to think like you, hot electronics = shorter life!
And some do get very warm, so only use them in a well ventilated position, perhaps on a "rack" that allows cooler air to be sucked up from directly underneath.
Never cover a charger with anything.
The charger on my previous bike got quite hot, but ran fine (excepting for a cable break in the connector that I had to repair once) for over 6 years in total.
I could still hold it in my "sensitive skin" hands though.:mad:My test of temperature, so eternally it was under 40°C....
My current bike, the charger has a minuscule tiny fan built in, very quiet, and naturally ventilation holes, so it barely gets warm at all.
Both chargers were 36 Volt Li-ion chargers and both were max 2 amp.
Maybe you can find on ebay either a new charger with fan, or maybe add a small external fan?
I myself, if it got really hot (hotter than my skin will handle), might get tempted to open a charger up, once the guarantee has finished, and add a tiny external fan, and a few small holes to allow cool air in and warm air out. But only do that if you have all the necessary knowledge to do that safely.
Something like this may work:-
Remember though, that if you charge outside, the holes may let in moisture!!
regards
Andy

D

Deleted member 25121

Does it get too hot to touch, hot to touch or just warm to touch?

Is there a rating for the output voltage and current on it?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my bosch charger gets real hot when working it would be more than you would expect heat wise.

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
Hi, appreciate those replies, I will look at ratings etc , still under warranty but fan idea sounds useful.
Will post ratings when I’m home
Many thanks

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
Hi, appreciate those replies, I will look at ratings etc , still under warranty but fan idea sounds useful.
Many thanks
Many thanks

Attachments

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
They all get hot no matter their rating. The disadvantage of the fan cooled ones is if the fan fails, they will fry, because they are designed to run cooler. This thread shows some ideas on mods for better cooling.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
They all get hot no matter their rating. The disadvantage of the fan cooled ones is if the fan fails, they will fry, because they are designed to run cooler. This thread shows some ideas on mads you can do.
Over a great many years, I have had the completely opposite experience with fan cooled power supplies, mainly with regard to computers, chargers and other equipment.
The fan cooled ones definitely last far longer, as even the fan is not really stressed at all.
Furthermore, a DIY hobbyist could pick a fan design with a sensor included (many types of CPU fan for example), that warns if the fan does not turn for any reason, and it could even be so arranged, that the power supply/charger, remains in a state where no heat is actually generated, e.g. not charging or supplying current!
But as with just about anything, if the design is of poor quality in the first place, then even fan cooled supplies will not last forever, but still far longer than the same supply without a fan!
I have over 50 years of firsthand experience with power supplies, chargers and similar (I used to design chargers for my own use), and I would always recommend fan cooled, as those without are definitely going to fail first, as you said, they do get hot!
Naturally, WHERE they are used could also play a role and charging outside, where rain water might get into a fan cooled supply, will definitely shorten the life of any electro-mechanical or electronic components drastically...
One has to be a bit careful.
Regards and a happy new year
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have a 1200w psu in my server it has been on nearly ten years tho it did cost £250 you get what you pay for ;)

D

Deleted member 25121

How hot does it get, too hot to touch, hot to touch or just warm to touch?

Reactions: Andy-Mat
D

Deleted member 25121

I suggest you leave the charger alone, when its providing the full charging current it might be giving off over 20W of heat this will make the case feel quiet hot.
When the battery is fully charged or disconnected the charger should feel cool, you might want to check that.

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
I suggest you leave the charger alone, when its providing the full charging current it might be giving off over 20W of heat this will make the case feel quiet hot.
When the battery is fully charged or disconnected the charger should feel cool, you might want to check that.
Yes it feels cool when disconnected.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Also as a newbie can anyone recommend an ebike magazine please.
i would recommend none those days are long gone ;)

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
i would recommend none those days are long gone ;)

Wow ok thanks