Battery comparison

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
Can those more knowledgeable than me confirm or comment on this.

I used to ride a gocycle G3 with a 24v 375 wh battery
Now I have a G4 which is 36v but remains 375 Wh

Should this mean I get greater range, in theory?

Or does it mean I can receive more power over the same range?

My practical experience tends to be the latter, but gocycle claim greater ranges.

If anyone cares to contribute comments I'm also curious what battery specs most others ride with. I'd like to up my Wh's but am restricted by what gocycle will offer.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth

I have 36V 15Ah battery (I regret I didn't buy 48V system)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Can those more knowledgeable than me confirm or comment on this.

I used to ride a gocycle G3 with a 24v 375 wh battery
Now I have a G4 which is 36v but remains 375 Wh

Should this mean I get greater range, in theory?

Or does it mean I can receive more power over the same range?

My practical experience tends to be the latter, but gocycle claim greater ranges.

If anyone cares to contribute comments I'm also curious what battery specs most others ride with. I'd like to up my Wh's but am restricted by what gocycle will offer.
If you used exactly the same power, the 36v battery would give you slightly more range because it's more efficient; however, it can probably give more power, in which case, if you use more power, you'd get less range. Watts = volts x amps. Volts on their own don't mean much. It's the amps that matter.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
To a first level of approximation the range will depend vary linearly with the Wh, and two systems with the same Wh battery will give similar range. The G4 is probably a bit more efficient, partly because of the higher voltage as saneagle pointed out, and possibly the G4 motor has a newer and more efficient design.

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
For money you spent on G4 you can buy Woosh Rambletta and... 10 spare batteries. Wouldn't have range anxiety :)
I don't have range anxiety and shall not be drawn into defending what I spent on the gocycle, except to say there are reasons it is often rated so highly. I rode four other ebikes before the gocycle and it's my preferred bike for ride, folding, and looks. But I admit it's bl##dy expensive!

Reactions: BigG

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I don't have range anxiety
...but don't worry. We all have it :)
I only worry after about 68km (691Wh battery :cool: ) over mixed terrain. I'd worry even less if I used less than 100% assistance all the time @10.16Wh per km, but I certainly didn't go electric to make any effort whatsoever cycling, so my bike it set up so I don't ever. Effortless it is. My 20" wheeled folding Dahon Bafang "250W" BBS01B mid-drive conversion, is about the same age as the OP's first Gocycle (the conversion kit is anyway, my Dahon Helios P8 was manufactured in April 2006).

Last edited: