Battery Connector Woes...

surfer6900

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 21, 2014
I've a momentum Upstart with a 36V 9 Ah Battery. Been working fine and came to it the other day and nothing. No power at all, no power to the hard wired light.
Checked the battery. Fine
Checked the connections on the bike. Fine.
Seems like no power at all to the controller.
Then check the connector situated on the battery. When I did a volt test on the battery I had to put some wire into the connectors as they are recessed. When I attach the battery to the bike and check the other side of the connectors there is no voltage.
So I'm assuming it is the 'pinch' connector pictured. The 2 outer poles are the ones used to transfer the voltage. They do look pitted but if I place a bare wire in each and test it, the battery seems fine.
Once connected to the bike then nothing.
Is it something I could replace or clean up?
The connections are still tight and I'm concerned about dismantling it further in case it won't go back.
Any ideas ?IMG_20141018_113050306.jpg

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The left slot looks corroded. One of the two leaf springs seems to have been pushed in too much. I would take the back cover off, nudge the pushed in spring out with a small blade and try again.

surfer6900

Jul 21, 2014
Full-connector-Corrosion-Web.jpg Thanks for the swift reply.
Both slots have a little corrosion.
Dismantled and there are no springs, just gripped by tension.
I've tried to bend them back to create tension.
Is there any way to clean the corrosion?

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I always put grease where there is corrosion.

surfer6900

Jul 21, 2014
OK. All back together, now when I pop the battery into position I seem to get a click/ possible spark.
Any ideas why? & is it a problem ?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that may be normal.
Some controllers charge up their capacitor when connected.
If your bike works again, I would not worry about it.

surfer6900

Jul 21, 2014
Thanks Guys.
To be honest I've never knelt by the connector when placing the battery, so it may well have done that before.
Fixed connector and new throttle, Done.

Mobile again :)

Reactions: VictoryV

surfer6900

Jul 21, 2014
Ok. Got 6 miles in & a stutter & then 5 mins later, dead again. Limped 'fixie' style home and took the car. Checked out all the connectors and everything seemed ok. Took the battery out of it's case and looked at the connector. It has 2 large red/black wires and also 2 red/black small wires. 5 connection poles in total but only 4 used. The small black wire had come off on the battery side and needed resoldering. Did this and everything seems fine again, for now. A couple of questions i have is that 1: what are the 2 small wires for? They don't Seem to connect to anything on the connecting block & 2: one the soldered joint that failed there was some glue/ silicon type substance, I imagine to strengthen the joint. What would that be?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
You may have a light switch on the LED panel, then the small wires are usually used to switch on the rear light.