Help! Battery\controller help

Fixer41462

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 7, 2020
Toledo, Ohio
Hi.im rick.recently purchased an ebike and I think I shorted out my controller . Don't know how to determine if I did in fact short it out. Have manufacturer and model but can't locate online. My bike is a Greenbike EM26.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the bike doesn't work then you may have blown controller mosfets or hub motor halls.
Firstly though determine that the battery outputs I assume 36v, if so one can carry out controller and motor hall testing.

Without meter testing simply rotate the rear wheel by hand forwards if it is very hard to turn/severe resistance then likely controller mosfets are smoked, disconnect the motor axle connector or the controller motor wiring and if the wheel frees up then controller is blown.

Hall and mosfet testing guide using a meter.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Controllers have big capacitors in them. When you connect them to a battery, the capacitors cause a big spark. That's not shorting. If you connect the battery wires the wrong way round, the controller doesn't noemally survive.

What exactly did you do?

Fixer41462

Oct 7, 2020
Toledo, Ohio
Controllers have big capacitors in them. When you connect them to a battery, the capacitors cause a big spark. That's not shorting. If you connect the battery wires the wrong way round, the controller doesn't noemally survive.

What exactly did you do?
Remove the rear light and touched wires.battery was off but not removed.sparks occured at rear when wires touched.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That won't do any harm to the controller. The worst that cam happen if you use the LCD to switch the lights on remotely, it blows the switching transistor so you can't switch off the lights.

Did your bike stop working afterwards? If so, check the battery output fuse.

Fixer41462

Oct 7, 2020
Toledo, Ohio
Lights are controlled on a separate unit that also has a button for the horn .
2 weeks after bike arrived front light burned out.they sent me another one but I was so disappointed in the first place because of how bad the light actually was. I decided that I was putting an aftermarket light in the front. So I've gone all summer like that.aftermarket headlight and factory taillight until I ran across a smart tail light that also senses deceleration and brake lights for 5 seconds It's actually fantastic. Horn was but into headlight and what I was actually doing at the time was...
I removed the horn unit from one of the units I had, secured it in a little plastic box and as in process of using tail light wires to activate the horn.
I opened up the little horn\light switch on handle bars and switched the wiring so the horn button is now connected to the wires that run through the frame to the rear where I mounted the horn to the front of rear rack under the seat. I accidentally touched wires together and still had battery in

Fixer41462

Oct 7, 2020
Toledo, Ohio
Sorry,yes I immediately tried to turn bike on and nothing.are fuses inside the battery?
The box is a sabre plus and cells panasonic

Fixer41462

Oct 7, 2020
Toledo, Ohio
48v 12.8 something.cant read due to sticker damadged from taking out and putting battery back in. The second sticker you see says " GB-201808 ,then sticker damadged, followed by A-011.
With PANAAONIC printed below. Appears to be manufacture date and identifying cells as panasonic. I found the First Energy website but it appears battery no longer available??

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It is quite simple first check the battery voltage at the discharge port, as I mentioned in #2 this will tell you if the internal fuse is blown.

Fixer41462

Oct 7, 2020
Toledo, Ohio
Found fuse under top cover of battery. Odd thing is , it was not blown but when I put it back in it's slot after seeing that it was not blown the battery came to life. I appears that removing it and reinserting reset something?? Can this be correct?