battery cost

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
looking on ebay at bikes came across a bike for 509 pounds the battery is a panasonic 36volt 9 ah battery this sounds a simillar size battery to most panasonic drive bikes yet the price is very different you get complete bike for about 59 pounds plus 450 pound for battery

jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not what it seems I think Jim, The Panasonic motor bikes use 26 volt 8 or 10 Ah lithium batteries and I've never heard of a 36 volt 9Ah one. In any case, the Panasonic battery on it's motor unit isn't £450, it's £295. You may be thinking of the eZee battery, but that's £350, not £450. Are you sure it's a lithium battery, since 9 Ah usually indicates NiMh, that being a common cell size for them?

If so, the 9Ah NiMh cells on the market at present have low current delivery capability, barely sufficient for the more powerful bikes, and they certainly cost far less than £450.

Last edited:

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Flecc,can the Pana motor and battery be bought together not on a bike then?You posted on here that it needs to fit into a special frame,I think! I want one of the Pana systems but cant afford the bikes theyre currently on:(

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Also! My much confused head was lead to believe that the bigger the battery the more powerful the performance.I was looking at 36v battery bikes,the Panasonic is only 26v,but Ive read its powerfull ? Arh! :eek: :confused:

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi this is not a panasonic drive unit bike just a panasonic battery the number on ebay is 270295592773. i am surprised the battery for panasonic drive units is only 295 pounds

jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
hi this is not a panasonic drive unit bike just a panasonic battery the number on ebay is 270295592773. i am surprised the battery for panasonic drive units is only 295 pounds

jim
Thanks Jim. That's a compound cathode li-ion battery part cobalt, part manganese, supposedly combining safety with quite good discharge characteristics. It's one I hadn't seen before and I've no idea of it's connection arrangements.

50cycles sold the Panasonic battery for the Panasonic unit at £305 originally but reduced it to £295 later. Wisper sell their 36 volt 14 Ah battery also at £295, and that's probably the best bargain around with that huge capacity.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc,can the Pana motor and battery be bought together not on a bike then?You posted on here that it needs to fit into a special frame,I think! I want one of the Pana systems but cant afford the bikes theyre currently on:(
Only in complete bike possible I'm afraid, since the botton bracket is incorporated in the motor unit. The bikes with them don't have their own bottom bracket with cranks and pedals, just a mounting channel for the motor unit instead.

Also! My much confused head was lead to believe that the bigger the battery the more powerful the performance.I was looking at 36v battery bikes,the Panasonic is only 26v,but Ive read its powerfull ? Arh! :eek: :confused:
The Panasonic motored bikes are better steep hill climbers since they drive through the chain, meaning that the motor drives through the gears just like cars. Therefore low gears can be selected for hills with both rider and motor using a suitable gear. That enables them to do the job with less total power, saving battery weight.

On hub motor bikes, the motor drives the wheel direct, only the rider able to use the gears to help with their part of the work. To climb well despite the motor not being able to use the gears, more power is necessary, hence the 36 volt preference so often on those.

Volts multiplied by Amps gives the Watts, that being the measure of potential power in the battery, so a 36 volt 10 Ampere/hour battery is 360 watts, a 26 volt 10 Ampere/hour is 260 watts so has less potential.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Are you really 71 flecc?

Any way,Im a bit younger but considerably thicker!

Straight choice,36v bike or the Panasonic system?What you having?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Are you really 71 flecc?

Any way,Im a bit younger but considerably thicker!

Straight choice,36v bike or the Panasonic system?What you having?
No, 72 at present and 73 this year. :)

The bike choice depends in part on what terrain you travel on and your usage.

If your hills are average, say up to 10%, either type will be fine but a hub-motor bike with a 36 volt system will leave you less to do, sometimes even capable of nearly everything without any pedalling from you.

If your hills are very steep like over 14%, the Panasonic drive through the gears system will suit better, but it does require you to pedal all the time and put in either 50% or 43% of the effort required, depending on the selected power level. The Panasonic system is also better if you are keen on gaining or maintaining fitness, since it forces you to contribute, no complete slacking allowed.