Battery Cover for riding in Rain?

Dafi

Just Joined
Jun 12, 2020
Hi All
Now... don't laugh but, my Pendeleton E-bike battery has dire warnings about exposure to water or damp., does this mean I can only ride her on dry days? I can't believe a bike would be sold (especially in the UK) that can't be ridden in the rain! Do the warnings only apply to storage or when the battery is disconnected from the bike or, if I need to keep the battery protected from rain while riding, can anyone recommend a good waterproof cover. I ride several times a week as I use my bike to get to work without using public transport, so really need to be sure about the rain/damage/safety thing. She is stored indoors when I am not riding and under a covered bike shed at work, so only getting damp when I'm riding.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Should not be a problem with 'normal' rain. The biggest risk is around the connectors where the battery plugs in. I don't know about that model in particular, but some a very poorly designed to keep out rain, and sometimes aren't good at letting it out if it does get in.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You'll be fine riding in the rain. Your body will keep a lot of rain off the battery because it sits in your rain shadow when you're moving.

The thing that is most vulnerable is the control panel. My suggestion is to stuff a couple of freexzer bags up the ends of each handlebar and put a rubber band in each, then use one to cover the panel if it rains hard.

The worst thing for your bike is to leave it out in the rain after riding it. Always park it under cover

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes if you have to ride in the rain then fine but the bike needs a cover if being left out for hours on end.
We don't see much of him on the forum now, Cwah mostly kept his bikes outside because as storage for him was poor. He left a bike outside with a newish Dolphin case battery, it filled with water.
I remember a couple of years ago a twat came on here slagging off Wisper and how his bike was a pile of rubbish complaining it didn't work, eventually when we got the full story twatty had also left it all day locked up outside in the pouring rain. The battery was the issue.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Yes if you have to ride in the rain then fine but the bike needs a cover if being left out for hours on end.
We don't see much of him on the forum now, Cwah mostly kept his bikes outside because as storage for him was poor. He left a bike outside with a newish Dolphin case battery, it filled with water.
I remember a couple of years ago a twat came on here slagging off Wisper and how his bike was a pile of rubbish complaining it didn't work, eventually when we got the full story twatty had also left it all day locked up outside in the pouring rain. The battery was the issue.
I take it ‘twatty’ doesn’t come in here now? Lol

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I take it ‘twatty’ doesn’t come in here now? Lol
No likely not, he only came on to slag Wisper off and probably was trolling all the forums by the sounds of it to give them very negative feed back.

Last edited: