Battery discharger/level indicator

AshleyBrayson

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Rugby UK
Hi,
Is there a battery discharger available that would let me to keep my batteries at a good level for storage if I'm not able to ride for a while? I have three bikes and it's on my mind that I shouldn't neglect any for long periods of time so I'd like something that could maintain them for longevity. It's not easy to use them in rotation due to time restrictions. I'm in the UK by the way.
Many thanks
Ashley

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Maybe I'm thinking of a charger that I could set to charge to a specific level for storage rather than discharge from full.
There are a few options on Ebay and Amazon that would/should/might work (EDIT: I did post an example, but the one I had posted may not work for you).

I also knocked up 4 x 12v 40w MR16 domestic halogen lamps in series to part-discharge a full 36v battery to a storage level (it's roughly a comfortable 3.4A discharge rate). I occasionally use this to artificially cycle a spare battery I haven't used in a while just to keep the cell chemistry active. You can also add a meter in series of the type vfr400 often recommends to discharge a fully charged battery and measure actual remaining capacity.

I'm sure there are options out there.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's nothing to panic about. The idea is not to leave your battery fully charged or fully empty. That shouldn't be too difficult without any special equipment. I can imagine that you could count on one hand how many people in the UK connect their battery to some special device before storing their bike.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
Fully charged is only marginally bad; come back x months later and it won't be. Fully discharged can easily get you into "BMS refuses to play ball" territory, which is beyond annoying, if you leave it that way for some months, although they are designed with a safety margin, such that 'empty' really isn't.

Reactions: mike killay

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I have been leaving my spare batteries for months on end for the past 4 years, they seem to be OK, as GSV3 says they soon lose their charge anyway, the trick is actually not to leave them too long.

AshleyBrayson

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Rugby UK
There are a few options on Ebay and Amazon that would/should/might work (EDIT: I did post an example, but the one I had posted may not work for you).

I also knocked up 4 x 12v 40w MR16 domestic halogen lamps in series to part-discharge a full 36v battery to a storage level (it's roughly a comfortable 3.4A discharge rate). I occasionally use this to artificially cycle a spare battery I haven't used in a while just to keep the cell chemistry active. You can also add a meter in series of the type vfr400 often recommends to discharge a fully charged battery and measure actual remaining capacity.

I'm sure there are options out there.
Thank you for your very interesting reply. A fascinating solution. You obviously know what you're doing.

AshleyBrayson

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Rugby UK
It's nothing to panic about. The idea is not to leave your battery fully charged or fully empty. That shouldn't be too difficult without any special equipment. I can imagine that you could count on one hand how many people in the UK connect their battery to some special device before storing their bike.
I agree, I'm probably overthinking the whole thing.

AshleyBrayson

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Rugby UK
Fully charged is only marginally bad; come back x months later and it won't be. Fully discharged can easily get you into "BMS refuses to play ball" territory, which is beyond annoying, if you leave it that way for some months, although they are designed with a safety margin, such that 'empty' really isn't.
Thanks for the input.