Battery enclosure

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
Hi,

So I ordered a battery from ping the other day, somewhat in haste and after far too much wine to be thinking straight. Should have planned it all out a bit better really. Anyways the battery is 280mm x 105mm * 85mm. The idea was that if I wanted to put it on top of the rack it would still leave access to the sides to attach panniers.

It should also be possible, maybe, to attach it to the downtube as I think it is narrow enough. Trouble is finding a suitable enclosure. Maplin don't have anything. RS Compoents have one that might be OK at a price:
Bopla | Enclosures and Fans | Metal and Plastic Enclosures | ABS Enclosures | ABS Enclosures

This would leave room for the BMS, connector and fuse but is probably a little too big really.

Farnells have some but they are way to expensive.

Anybody tried to make an enclosure? I wondered about polcarbonate sheet with welded seams? The advantage would be a case that was just the right size. Anybody got experience in this area?

I am wondering if I have bought the right shape battery really but too late for that unless I take it apart and reconfigure it. I would rather not do that.

Cheers, BM.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
If you go through Jeremy's long thread on his Tongxin kit you'll see he made a wonderful looking enclosure for his Ping battery on his recumbent.

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
If you go through Jeremy's long thread on his Tongxin kit you'll see he made a wonderful looking enclosure for his Ping battery on his recumbent.
Yeah, he has made a good enclosure. Looks like he vacuum formed it. I guess I could give this a go, the parts are cheap. I only have a standard size oven but should just about be able to make a box of the right size.

I have not tried vacuum forming before..... wonder how hard it really is?

BM

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
Hi,

Anybody tried to make an enclosure? I wondered about polcarbonate sheet with welded seams? The advantage would be a case that was just the right size. Anybody got experience in this area?

Cheers, BM.
No experience, but I remember my brother building a box out of polycarbonate (or similar) back in the 80's. Used the same sort of glue that they use on fish tanks (like a sort of silicon sealant type affair). Strong and waterproof. If you can get the glue it should be pretty easy.

Cheers

Steve

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
No experience, but I remember my brother building a box out of polycarbonate (or similar) back in the 80's. Used the same sort of glue that they use on fish tanks (like a sort of silicon sealant type affair). Strong and waterproof. If you can get the glue it should be pretty easy.

Cheers

Steve
Fish tanks use pure silicon as the additives in bathroom stuff are poisonous to fish, bathroom stuff is cheaper and mould resistant. However fish tanks and baths don't move about much, there may be a much more suitable product available for a bike battery that will take the abuse better.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
I'd use the solvent-weld stuff that is used on plastic plumbing.. (shower drains etc)... Totally waterproof and immensly strong as it chemically welds the plastics together and easily available from any plumbing supply place.

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
I think my unnconsidered ordering of the battery in this config was a mistake. I think I will look at reconfiguring the cells. Should not be too hard as the cells are already seperated into 2 stacks just want to turn the stacks 90 degrees to each other. We will find out when it is delivered.

Cheers, BM.