Battery for up to 1500w

scofield

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2021
So I've got a 1000w ebike with a 48v 13amp battery right now and I'm looking to upgrade the battery for more range and less voltage sag.

With a budget of around £300 I'm trying to find the best options. So far I've found on ebay a Unit Power Pack 52V 20Ah (40A BMS) for £315. They claim to have "A-grade cells from the official sources", but are they? no brand names mentioned.

Theres also this one for £329 which is 52v 19.2Ah: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275120317342 and claims to use Panasonic Tesla cells. It appears to also be a UPP but from a different seller.

Opinions/suggestions welcome please.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
For your budget those batteries prob. represent the best you will find with unspecified, unbranded cells. Tesla cells dosen't really mean much as this Aliexpress listing shows. I don't see any mention of Panasonic in the ad.
For decent branded cells you will need another £100-150.

scofield

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2021
For your budget those batteries prob. represent the best you will find with unspecified, unbranded cells. Tesla cells dosen't really mean much as this Aliexpress listing shows. I don't see any mention of Panasonic in the ad.
For decent branded cells you will need another £100-150.
Similar if not the same from risun motor: https://www.risunmotor.co.uk/products/uk-stocked-52v-192ah-panasonic-tesla-cell-polly-frame-case-battery-with-5a-charger clearly states the brand and says its UK stocked yet 12-14 days delivery :confused:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
They are a Chinese seller, ask them why the long shipping time if shipped from UK? The cell description is very suspect as it states Tesla Panasonic 48G cells. 48G's are actually made by Samsung, so who knows what you will get!

Last edited:

scofield

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2021
They are a Chinese seller, ask them why the long shipping time if shipped from UK? The cell description is very suspect as it states Tesla Panasonic 48G cells. 48G's are actually made by Samsung, so who knows what you will get!
Yep, if it looks too good...

At least they were honest in their reply :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you cant get tesla cells anywhere ppl with cars cant even get parts under warranty lol.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
So I've got a 1000w ebike with a 48v 13amp battery right now and I'm looking to upgrade the battery for more range and less voltage sag.

With a budget of around £300 I'm trying to find the best options. So far I've found on ebay a Unit Power Pack 52V 20Ah (40A BMS) for £315. They claim to have "A-grade cells from the official sources", but are they? no brand names mentioned.

Theres also this one for £329 which is 52v 19.2Ah: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275120317342 and claims to use Panasonic Tesla cells. It appears to also be a UPP but from a different seller.

Opinions/suggestions welcome please.
Your 1000W motor is hard on batteries because it frequently draws very high currents, so no low cost battery is going to be happy for long.

I would either spend double on the battery to get one specified and built for regular 40A or so demands, or accept having to buy a new cheap one every year, or get a different motor!

• Agree
Reactions: wheeliepete

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Like I've said, on your budget, you are not going to find a high capacity/performance battery with branded cells. Forget the Tesla thing, it's a sales gimick to draw buyers in with a brand name and has no bearing on the quality of the battery pack. Even if the cells were genuine, they would not perform that well in powering your bike because they are designed to be used in huge numbers, around 4500, in a car, not on a high demand ebike in a small 50 cell pack. If you have space on the bike, look at the large triangle packs, they have more cells, which will share the load/demand better, so will be less stressed and will suffer less voltage sage and poss. last longer. I would also stick with 48v so you can use your old charger and spend a little more on the battery.
This pack, on paper, has the spec. and quality cells you can get with a bigger budget.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Even the MJ1 battery should ideally be kept to 35a or less if maxed out continuously.
As pete has said one has to pick the cell for the purpose ideally for only a 5,6 or 7p battery look for one with higher current 20a cells.

scofield

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2021
Ok thanks guys. Looks like I'll have to go into the £400+ territory. The LG cell battery that Pete mentioned is double the price of my current battery (which is most likely generic Chinese cells) , but it's nearly twice the size and better quality, so it seems like a good deal.

I originally wanted to look for something that could power up 1500w in view of future upgrades. But to be honest, 1000w is fine, but it's more about range and performance now. My 48v 13a is ok for the about 10 miles before it needs charging, otherwise the voltage will sag and cut out.
Range is of course affected by terrain, weight, and style you ride it. In my case I have to climb a large hill on each journey, even maxed out I have to give it plenty of effort pedaling, but it's not bad at all. That and the fact I'm over 17 stone means it takes a hit on the battery. It's a rear hub motor, I don't always go hell for leather but 20+ mph on the flat generally feels good.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Forget about watt's this and watt's that, look for a battery that simply can offer a continuous current draw that is some 20/25% or greater then your controllers max out put.
For a 20a controller one wants a battery with 25a continuous or more.
A 30a controller wants a battery with 40a continuous or more and so on.
Having a battery with a greater current rating means the cells will be less stressed and not operating at their max operating curve.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
It's really difficult to find off the shelf battery packs for your type of motor, assuming it's a large direct drive type, without building it yourself or getting a custom built one, which will cost even more. This is not helped by the worldwide shortage of branded cells at the moment. You could try contacting this guy, who used to post here alot. He's been building and selling kit bikes and battery packs for a few years now and he may be of help. He has had a few satisfied customers post on here.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Agree pete all the generic rubbish palmed off for DD hub bikes are just not up to it except as a 5/10 mile run about, it's worse when they are sold as part of a full kit.