Battery fusing

Debbie Lomax

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
It might be worth you considering refitting your old 250w hub motor, assuming it's a geared brushless one and it has the same connections as your present motor. It will run fine at 18/20 amps and will perform much better on hills than the DD you have. It should also increase your range by a fair amount.
It is now on my grandsons bike , but thanks for the suggestion .

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
It might be worth you considering refitting your old 250w hub motor, assuming it's a geared brushless one and it has the same connections as your present motor. It will run fine at 18/20 amps and will perform much better on hills than the DD you have. It should also increase your range by a fair amount.
PERFECT! Well said!
And it should also be far "more" legal speed wise.....though you may have already adjusted the controller for that.....
Also, as some relatively recent court cases have demonstrated, the Police are seemingly getting wiser in identifying bikes with no road fund license, no insurance and no number plates, that exceed the legal e-bike limit of 15.5 MPH!
And as some of the riders of such bikes, tend not to wear proper safety gear, they themselves are left open to more serious injuries as well....
If I remember correctly (years ago now), even Moped riders need to wear a proper Motorbike helmet! And good quality leather gloves are always wise!
regards
Andy

• Disagree
Reactions: ebiker99

Debbie Lomax

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
PERFECT! Well said!
And it should also be far "more" legal speed wise.....though you may have already adjusted the controller for that.....
Also, as some relatively recent court cases have demonstrated, the Police are seemingly getting wiser in identifying bikes with no road fund license, no insurance and no number plates, that exceed the legal e-bike limit of 15.5 MPH!
And as some of the riders of such bikes, tend not to wear proper safety gear, they themselves are left open to more serious injuries as well....
If I remember correctly (years ago now), even Moped riders need to wear a proper Motorbike helmet! And good quality leather gloves are always wise!
regards
Andy
I get were your coming from Andy , but my trike is set to go no more than 20 k/p/h . I am an elderly larger lady who lives in a hilly area . I upped the motor to make it easier to get up said hills . The reason I have a motirised trike and not a motòrbike or car is that I am epileptic and although my seizures are few and far between and I am given ample warning , I cannot get a driving license without lying about my medical history . My trike allows me a little freedom , it is my "wings " and also lets me get some excersise . Sorry for going on a bit , but ,I am sure that you are all aware how black and white the law on ebikes is at present so yes maybe I am breaking the law , but not by riding my trike too fast or careless .

Reactions: ebiker99

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I get were your coming from Andy , but my trike is set to go no more than 20 k/p/h . I am an elderly larger lady who lives in a hilly area . I upped the motor to make it easier to get up said hills . The reason I have a motirised trike and not a motòrbike or car is that I am epileptic and although my seizures are few and far between and I am given ample warning , I cannot get a driving license without lying about my medical history . My trike allows me a little freedom , it is my "wings " and also lets me get some excersise . Sorry for going on a bit , but ,I am sure that you are all aware how black and white the law on ebikes is at present so yes maybe I am breaking the law , but not by riding my trike too fast or careless .
Many thanks for the complete update, you are well versed in the law!
Have a great day.
Andy

Reactions: Debbie Lomax

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
Would you not be better geting rid off the 1000w d/d hub as they are not made to suit you're requirements and get a geared hub instead! Like a 36V 500W 201rpm Bafang BPM2 . Also 36v battery is not the best choice for a 1000w d/d hub

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Something I had previously mentioned in #23, glad more then one of us thinks so.

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
i did 18 48v packs for a g wiz job, runnin at about 400a draw at peak. so no problems there, each pack had 45a bms board.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tbh honest given Debbie's medical history even if caught/stopped by plod, charging her wouldn't be in the public interest I believe. The fact the bike is restricted to 20km/h I doubt will draw any attention.
Agree a 201 bpm would be a good alternative with plenty of good hill climbing grunt at 20/22a it would trounce the D/D hub and be 1 -1.5 kg lighter, the D/D is maintenance free but I would go BPM over one for hills.
My 36v BPM was awesome and I still have it but not used for a long time, at 12s using lipo's it had immense torque.

Debbie Lomax

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
Let us know how you get on with making the current changes.
Hi , lovely morning this am so set C5 to 6 , just as a starting point . Took trike for a spin over some hills , battery seemed fine ( not hot or fused ) , at end of ride . One thing puzzling me though was motor still running at 900w plus on PA 5 . I may be wrong but I thought by lowering the C5 parameter would have lowered wattage .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
900w suggests the controller is allowing 24/25a current draw, at the full 30a it should show over 1200w initially then eventually drop as voltage drops. C5#6 is 80% current so 24a, at 24a x 36v nominal the power will be 864w but as a battery starts at 42v it will soon drop to 41v so peak power seen will be higher at about 1000w then decrease as voltage drops.
900w suggests battery voltage is 37.5v average at 24a.

Last edited: