Battery in a bag?

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I'm getting a bit fed up with my rear carrier which seems to shake, rattle and roll an awful lot now its got a battery on it as well as the screws which hold it onto the frame which constantly work themselves loose and fall out :(

I was thinking of putting my battery in a bag attached to the seat post like this one:

http://www.carradice.co.uk/sqr-saddlepacks/sqr-glentress.shtml

It will also make it easier to detach and carry into my office for charging when I get to work. Does anyone know if there are any issues with putting a battery in a bag such as overheating?

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
Most batteries don't produce enough heat for that to be a problem unless it is very heavily insulated. A typical bag with a bit of padding is fine.

joab

Pedelecer
My battery is in a bag on the rear carrier. That could be very heavy for the seatpost.
I made a small construction on top the battery so I can still use the rear carrier for my computer bag.

Regards,
Jo

Last edited:

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
My battery is in a bag on the rear carrier. That could be very heavy for the seatpost.
I made a small construction on top the battery so I can still use the rear carrier for my computer bag.

Regards,
Jo
I'm not sure if it the battery that is rattling or the rear carrier so putting it in a bag on the rear carrier may not cure the problem. I think that Carradice who make the seatpost fitting bag I'm looking at say not to exceed 20 kg so it might be ok although I don't know how they got a 5 litre bag to carry 20 kg - must have filled it with bits of a neutron star.

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
I use a
MADISON SUMMIT REAR PANNIER RACK

It never moves no matter how much weight I put on it.

I put threadlock on the screws to stop them coming loose.

stevew

Pedelecer
[QUOTE

I put threadlock on the screws to stop them coming loose.[/QUOTE]

Also worth putting nuts on the back of the fixing bolts where you can. Although you will need to find longer bolts.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Thanks for the ideas :)

The screws that I have problems with are the ones that go in just below the seatpost and don't exit out the other side so can't take nuts. Threadlock is a good idea though and I'll try and get hold of some.