Battery Li -on

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
sorry to hear your frustrations is the bike new? if so which dealer is it that is not looking after you,allso if its new i thought we had a sale of goods act,it may be that they cant get parts, but depending on how long you have had it it should not be your problem. if within the warrenty period i would be pretty unhappy (thats the polite way of putting it) if i had been waiting that long.
hope it sorts out for you soon
mike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Li-ion will be ok for three months Gaynor, so too soon to start worrying about it. This eZee battery is rather different from the ones used in most laptops, using a different chemical mix.

Have you jogged 50cycles memory on this? Christmas and the time following New Year were a very busy time for them so a prompt now might be a good idea.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was wondering if it would be an idea to charge up the battery even if im not using it, as the battery and charger stays here?

No, it's not worth it Gaynor, since one of the benefits of Li-ion is that it doesn't lose charge, so there's nothing worthwhile to recharge.

In future, one way to lose a bit of charge with the Quando so that you can do a recharge is this.

With it on the stand, hang something heavy on the handlebars to hold the front wheel on the ground, this keeps the back wheel clear. Then switch on, wind open the throttle and tape it there at the join to the static part with a scrap of adhesive tape. Then just leave it. Because there's no load, so no work done it will run for many hours, at least six to eight. However, no need to run it that long, a couple of hours will do, and then you can recharge that bit, keeping the battery in good condition.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is the 50cycles I've experienced. The following incident happened well before this forum started and before I had started my e-bike websites. As far as 50cycles were concerned, I was just another customer.

Shortly after I bought my Torq many months ago, an early model, I experienced an odd hub fault, so phoned 50cycles and in order to be helpful and speed the resolution, offered to bring the bike back to them. Scott in response said he would endeavour to get the repair done on a same day basis. I said I wasn't sure which day as I needed to get an MOT done on my car, at which Scott informed me that the garage next door to him could arrange it if that suited.

Of course it did, so while I was on the phone, Scott popped next door and arranged the MOT for the following Monday, which I'd already indicated was suitable. He also informed me that Wai Won Ching, founder of eZeebike and his son Ken were visiting that day so I'd have a chance to meet them. I duly presented myself with bike first thing Monday, the car was collected and taken for MOT by the next door garage staff, and I met the Chings. They were concerned about the fault and decided to just change the whole wheel, and then took over from 50cycles' repairers and did the job themselves. Can't be bad, having the designer repair one's bike! Before mid-day the car was brought back to me, MOT done and passed, the bike repaired and I was ready to return home.

This was service well beyond any call of duty, my MOT need was hardly their concern, not was it necessary to give me a chance to meet the Chings. What it showed was a concern for me as an individual, not just as a customer. Remember, I was just another person at that time with no dedicated biking internet presence.

And this was no one-off. When I experienced a particular problem with an early battery months later which 50cycles recognised, they immediately sent a replacement out without waiting for the old one to be returned.

One important thing to note from the above is my willingness to be helpful with resolving a problem, born of my long experience in giving customer service and knowing how much the customer can help. For any supplier, service is the most difficult and potentially very costly aspect of their business, so they always welcome a co-operative customer and will usually make every effort to respond in like manner. The outcome of that co-operation is that the customer almost invariably wins with a satisfactory experience.

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
I'd just like to say, Just received my bike, the repairs look very well done, i read wrong, as when you said 'the brake ups correctly', i thought you meant just the brakes were corrected, so now i see thats not the case...
Just tested the lights and throttle, and all is fine, cant wait for the rain to stop, put the panniers back on and get get there! I must use Flecs water proof tips for the switches ... the light switch would sometimes come on my accident, in my experience with my old electric bike, using the light tends to drain the battery quicker, but then it might be different with this bike.
Much happier now :D

What I wanted to ask was this.. when i use the left brake i find it slightly too far apart, the repairman from bike shop i had seen said this wouldnt be too difficault to do, but i thought as this is an electric bike it might be differant as the throttle is on the left handlebar ...I wonder if anyones changed/tighted theres? I will have to start getting used to the left brake but it does feel that much further away

kraeuterbutter

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2007
for storing lipos/LiIons for longer time you should always keep this in mind:

Permanent capacity loss of lithium-ion as a function of temperature and charge level.
High charge levels and elevated temperatures hasten permanent capacity loss. Improvements in chemistry have increased the storage performance of lithium-ion batteries.

source and more infos: How to prolong lithium-based batteries

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
This is interesting kraeuterbutter.
No wonder the battery for the lap top only lasted 12 months, as this would be the worst possible condition... this is a very hot house. I keep reptiles (Royal pythons- babies pics..snakes) I dont have a garage, so have keep my electric bike in the house. Think I will have to make sure one room is cooler than the others and keep the battery in there.
It also says on your link, 300 -500 charges, but as these batteries are charged often, then it doesn't sound very much. Then its still relatively new, so it could well be a lot longer..

for storing lipos/LiIons for longer time you should always keep this in mind:

Permanent capacity loss of lithium-ion as a function of temperature and charge level.
High charge levels and elevated temperatures hasten permanent capacity loss. Improvements in chemistry have increased the storage performance of lithium-ion batteries.

source and more infos: How to prolong lithium-based batteries

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These are for battery storage though Gaynor. Batteries in use will lose much more capacity anyway, so your house conditions won't affect things very much in practice. The Li-ion life will be independent of those top up charges you do, it's generally full cycle charges that these figures refer to. Also, these figures are somewhat theoretical, being based on various types and sizes.

The best approach with batteries in use is just to use and enjoy. Then when the time comes, replace and do the same again, life's too short to spend it fretting about the smallest things.

Anyway, I wouldn't like to think of your pythons shivering for the sake of your battery. :)