Battery Location

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
For the balance and ridability what is the best location for the battery? I've only tried a Kalkhoff and it seemed back heavy (w/o a pannier load). It did not ride very well and felt sluggish.

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Hi Perseus, Where are you based and what type of riding will you be doing (commuting, leisure, off road etc)?

Reactions: Perseus

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
best place for the battery is on the downtube for a crank drive or rear hub drive. For a front hub, battery is best on the rear rack.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Hi Perseus, Where are you based and what type of riding will you be doing (commuting, leisure, off road etc)?
Shoreham-by-Sea (Sussex) mostly flat but wind exposed and hills for leisure trips.
Cyclepaths, country roads, urban roads (lots of potholes), some conditions might be described as off-road such are the conditions in winter. May use the bike for long distance shopping with loaded back panniers (but I've got an ordinary bike for ordinary shopping). Up to 30 mile round trips. If I thought I would use roads, I'd get a moped (still not ruled out but roads are so crowded I like to go off road: cyclepaths are crowded enough*). (*Quite a problem at weekends.)

Last edited:

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
That's good info thanks. I wonder if it would be worth considering something with wider tyres and built to take a few more bumps. The Yamaha system on the Haibike sDuro models is anything but sluggish. We've equipped the Hard Seven with a pannier rack for customers that do trails and the occasional off roading. If you'd prefer a city bike then the Raleigh store in Shoreham should have a Captus or Motus with a Bosch drive to test ride.
Raleigh Cycle Centres
38-42 Kingston Broadway
Shoreham By Sea
West Sussex
United Kingdom
BN43 6TE
Looks like they hire too.
If you manage to test ride the Impulse, Yamaha and Bosch systems I'm sure forum members would welcome your thoughts regarding the feel of the different systems.
If you can make it to any of our stores then we would of course be happy to help.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
For the balance and ridability what is the best location for the battery? I've only tried a Kalkhoff and it seemed back heavy (w/o a pannier load). It did not ride very well and felt sluggish.
Just out of interest, what Kalkhoff did you ride? I have a crank drive with battery below the seat and it's neither out of balance or at all sluggish..

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
It felt like a pannier load of books (heavy) on my ordinary bike as I cycled to the library for renewals. Rather a weight to respond to on a long pedal ride or certainly slightly offroad on footpaths. Far from ideal for short shopping trips as well. I will still need to get an ebike though as I am getting on. Throttle start needed or hub gears because of the excessive other traffic.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
It felt like a pannier load of book (heavy) on my ordinary bike as I cycled to the library for renewals. Rather a weight to respond on a long ride or certainly slightly offroad on footpaths. Far from ideal for short shopping trips as well. I will still need to get an ebike though as I am getting on. Throttle start needed or hub gears becuase of the excessive other traffic.
Weird. I kind of get the opposite impression from my Pro Connect and it's pretty much the same kind of ride as the one you pictured. I do have two panniers but tend to ride with one with a couple of bits and bobs in it. Sometimes I fill it up with some shopping and for some reason it doesn't really feel that side heavy o_O

Mine has hub gears and I love them now. I wouldn't happily go back to cogs and derailleurs. I hope you find what you're looking for but be aware, my Impulse 2.0 reports to offer 70nm of torque (80nm in the newer Evo motor). That's at the higher end of what you get with most of the motors up to and towards the end of 2015. I think the newest Yamaha motor peaks at 80nm. You should notice a slight difference but if you find 70nm of torque sluggish, i'm not sure the potential extra 10nm will change your perception of sluggishness. Worth a go though :)

Last edited:

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Just out of interest, what Kalkhoff did you ride? I have a crank drive with battery below the seat and it's neither out of balance or at all sluggish..
It felt sluggish, pedal only. OK with the power assists. Different though.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
It felt sluggish, pedal only. OK with the power assists. Different though.
If you were using it with the power off it would have felt heavy and sluggish alright. But why would you? If you don’t want to use the power why buy a pedelec? Did you put it in full power and try going uphill as fast as you could? The feeling of having bionic legs is worth the money just for that.