Battery re-conditioners

BoristheB

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2019
Hia! First post but long time lurker.
I recently purchased this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32919345925.html
from aliexpress for 700 quid shipped. The bike itself exceeds all my expectations however I don't feel comfortable keeping 50 or so unbranded batteries at home.
Battery pack and shape is proprietary so swapping with an off the shelf product is not an option.
Could you guys name a few companies that can do a battery cell and BMS swap using the same shell and connectors?
Thank you,
Boris. (not the blonde lunatic)

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
500W motor and 39km/h with throttle - is this even legal in the UK??

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
To your surprise; e-bikes are legal in the UK.
You can actually source a 11000 Volt, 5 mega watt electric motor online. Completely legal.
UK is not a banana republic after all.
Not judgement from me but just info. A motor stamped 500w is illegal to use on uk roads as an ele tric pedal assisted bicycle.

You can buy them and them use them. Just not legally unless on private land. You are most unlikely to get caught or get in trouble unless you hit and injure someone. Then all bets are off !

Same goes for all these electric scooters which are even more illegal as they don't even have pedals

Reactions: kangooroo

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
To your surprise; e-bikes are legal in the UK.
You can actually source a 11000 Volt, 5 mega watt electric motor online. Completely legal.
UK is not a banana republic after all.
I know you can source them but I'm not sure of their legality for use on UK roads.

I'm losing track of where the legislation is now re 250W motor and maximum speed of 15.5mph and whether registration and licence plates are required for anything beyond this. The DVLA site suggests the latter hasn't changed and that these are still classed as motorcycles or mopeds: https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

• Agree
Reactions: ebiker99

BoristheB

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2019
Oh you mean public roads...
I wouldn't ride anything that has less than 20bhp at the wheel on public roads.
As you would guess, I live in London :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The law says that the motor must be rated at no more than 250w, so any motor marked or stamped more than 250w is illegal.

Now let's be practical. The manufacturers sometimes make the same motors with different stampings or they list them as 250w - 500w or similar. There is no test for a motor's rating. There's only a test to prove that it doesn't burn at its rated power, and it's almost impossible to prove non-compliance as long as you haven't got writing on the motor that shows more than 250w. What is important and is easy to test is the speed limit. If you're going to set that more than 25km/h (27.5km/h for the pedants), it makes no difference which motor you use regarding legality, except that a massive 6kw motor is going to stand out and provoke questions.

Reactions: kangooroo