Battery recommendation for Cyc motor

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
I like the bit in the description where it says “ This battery is physically the smallest we do yet still have enough power for the BBSHD and CYC Stealth motors”.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
And to make matters even more complicated for you the X1 can use a 72v battery. It has a BAC855 controller which is a monster.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
With that size of motor the controller will have to be at least 30A continuous rating, meaning that, yes, it will be 50-60A max.
If you get a battery that is capable of delivering 50A max it will be too little. To avoid heat stress and buggering it up within about a year, you need a battery capable of delivering 10-20% more current than your maximum controller rating. This means something in the region of 66-70A.
This is before considering the actual capacity of the battery.
What you are actually talking about is a motor bike with bicycle brakes and frame, that were never designed to take the weight and stresses you are about to impose on them.
Why not just buy a motorbike and be legal?

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
I was just thinking along similar lines. The cyc x1 is an absolute power house. Maybe better off upgrading to a BBSHD and be done with it. Cheaper, safer and more reliable.

And the cyc pro gen 3 is even more ridiculous at 5kW.

Last edited:

SeanChad

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 2, 2023
This is why I'm losing my mind! None of the review videos online have monster batteries as far as I can tell, Cyc themselves don't recommend their own monster battery for the x1 stealth. I don't get why the supplier would recommend a battery that isn't up to the job. Am I missing something.

This is taken from the cyc website

The B-52 & B-52L packs with the Samsung 50e cells are fantastic for those wanting to go for a day out on the bike and cover long distances where weight isn't the top priority. With 520wh & 780wh you can expect these packs to cure your range anxiety. When it comes to power capabilities, these packs are best suited for the Photon and X1 Stealth kits. You can consider them as an option for your X1 Pro 3500W version but it's best to note that you're not going to get the full 3500W out of the system.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
They should have written:

“The B-52 & B-52L packs with the Samsung 50e cells are fantastic for those wanting to go for a day out on the bike and cover long distances really slowly”.

You have a choice, either run at 250 watts all day, in which case you don’t need a cyc x1, or run it at 1500 to 2000 watts for 20 minutes and either put another battery in or go home to recharge.

The BBSHD doesn’t do much better at full power either. If you run at 1000 to 1500 watts then you either need to have a big battery to get some decent range or carry a spare to get you home.

I’m quite happy to play around in the mud for an hour or so and then it’s back home for a recharge after around 15 miles. Hose the bike down, stick my filthy clothes in the washing machine and jump into the shower. Job done for the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeanChad

SeanChad

Apr 2, 2023
Would one of those packs allow me.to get the full.power from the motor though? As the recommendation before was that I would need a huge battery with a 60a BMS or something I don't do long range riding but I also don't really want to charge none stop but pointless getting a kit if I can't use it to its full potential.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Realistically you aren’t going to fit a decent capacity 72 volt battery on your Giant, so you are restricted to a 52 volt battery.

If you want to run at 1500 watts then you need a 52 volt battery capable of delivering a minimum 30 amps. And those batteries you are looking at will just about do that.

A 30 amp 10 ah battery at 1500 watts will be depleted in 20 minutes and a 30 amp 20 ah battery will last twice as long. You are unlikely to be running flat out continuously, so you should get a good hour of fun out of a 30 amp 19 ah or 20 ah battery before it’s time to go home.

You just need to set up the BAC855 so it restricts the maximum current to less than 30 amps to protect the battery. Maybe set it at 25 to 27 amps so you have 10% safety margin.

My battery is 40 amp 20 ah, so I’m not running it flat out at 1500 watts.

And remember the x1 specifications say it is capable of taking 2KW max, so if you want to run at that level you will need to look at batteries that can deliver over 40 amps at 52 volts.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The sam 50e is a good cell but for lower power stuff , typical it has 9.8a rating but that rating is a short life rating . For good life cycle one would only max out the current to approx. 7a per cell may be a tad less, one reason why on higher power motor and controllers that deliver 30 -50a one needs the top notch cells that can easily do 20a and for a time 30odd amps.
If wanting a just 15 -20 mins fun then the 10a cells might work but they won't last long , if you want over an hours run time then not only have you got to think about bettter cells one has to think of the capacity which will mean a heavy large battery.

Going from diy BBS tpye kits or 25/30a hub motor kits one to a higher performance motor one is stepping up a notch or two easily and in to moped/motorbike world .
One is in to the realms of motor bike ev stuff and using 10a cells doesn't cut the mustard in a small battery format , they are ok in large battery format though you will need to look at 10 cells in parallel at least.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We have seen it so many times in the past with folks bemoaning their 1kw illegal bikes not performing with the stock 48v batteries . Simply because they are buying the cheapest battery possible because the specs say 1500w capable , but the specs don't say they will only get 10 or 15mins of fun before the cells have had enough or simply can't supply the current demand.

For the cyc motor one is looking likely at, at least £700 for a quality high discharge rate battery that will last more then a year and give performance.

Last edited:

SeanChad

Apr 2, 2023
Thanks for all.of the advice people it's really appreciated, it's a minefield this battery selection. I was reading a blog post on electric-bike by Karl Gesslein where he used a Luna wolf 30Q pack with a cyclone motor and reported that it did well yet comments here debunk the 30Q as rubbish power tool cells.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
30q have a habit of self discharging , they aren't rubbish but can be a bit iffy. They were apparently designed for high current power tools but morphed over as so many do to ev use.

If one trolls thru the mass of ES threads one will find reports of self discharge and life cycle testing being a bit weak.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
So what's the plan with this monster "bicycle"? Mixing things up with pedestrians on shared paths at 40 mph?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
On a bicycle frame crashing at 40mph, the only crumple zone is legs. And other useful body parts, some of which can be harvested for other bodies, which is a plus. Transplanting the brain will result in repeat. It's the circle of life.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
So what's the plan with this monster "bicycle"? Mixing things up with pedestrians on shared paths at 40 mph?
its like bowling but the pins move ;)

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
I have the Colossus battery from Electron cycles and use it with BBSHD 18 months old and still has 34.01 ah capacity used everday 3500 miles done they do a 52V pack and a 72v pack not cheap but its a get what you pay for life i have had 30Q packs before and they self discharged i would not recommend 30Q.

Reactions: Nealh and SeanChad

SeanChad

Apr 2, 2023
Yes lots of pavement riding, wheelies between cars. I might as well start selling drugs too.

I have a Bbs02 it's ok but I want torque sensing, for the bits of off road I do get to do I'd like more power than I get from the Bbs02 and I don't like the cadence sensing from bafang so don't want a bbshd.

Just because a motor has the capability of throwing you around at 40mph doesn't mean it's going to be used irresponsibly. Most cars can do over 100mph but as grown ups we are trusted to not use them like an idiots

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Yes lots of pavement riding, wheelies between cars. I might as well start selling drugs too.
i give ppl at least 5mm when i pass them just incase same as the race cars going 60 mph down the country lanes in ramrovers ;)

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Sometimes I think 20mph would be a more sensible legal speed limit for ebikes, enabling us to keep up with most slow moving traffic without having to hug kerbs... but then I'm reminded daily by the pain as a result of this, which happened at only 12mph -

BEWARE OF BADGERS!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: