Battery size help please

currymonster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 20, 2013
Hi all
I have trawled through the forum pages and cannot find a definite answer. So if some could just put me right it would be appreciated.
I have a good condition 36v 10Ah battery off my broken sirocco and wish to move this and some other bits onto a cheap lightweight hybrid for work. I intend to fit a 8fun bbs02 crank kit. Should I get the 350w or can the battery handle the 500w version? .

Thanks

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I would be surprised if that battery would give enough current. I would assume it was designed to provide about 15a max, where as the 500w will need 25-30a.

D

Deleted member 4366

You need the 250w version, which is 15A. If your battery were new, it would probably just about do the 18 amps of the 350w one.

currymonster

Mar 20, 2013
Thank you both I was afraid of that but trying to convince myself it will be ok, as I've read the 250w is a bit under powered.

D

Deleted member 4366

The 250w one is identical in all respects to the 350w one.

currymonster

Mar 20, 2013
Ok I think I understand, I was going to buy a kit from the woosh team, as they are pretty helpful. I've also read about different software versions in the motors. Do you know if there kits are ok or would you recommend a different retailer d8veh?

Reactions: the_killjoy
D

Deleted member 4366

The kit should be the same wherever you get it from. Woosh would be a good vendor.

The software is the same in the 250w and 350w versions. Within the software, there's parameters that you can set. One of them is the motor current, which is the difference between the two. Some parameters can be set through the display, but you need a programming lead for the current and other parameters in the advanced settings.

currymonster

Mar 20, 2013
Sorry for all the questions, but I assume they will set current levels in advanced settings before they dispatch if I tell them my battery spec. I have read about adjust wheel size and top speed.
Thanks for your knowledge.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
@ currymonster: d8veh is right, your sirocco battery is good for the BBS01 15A 250W. It has a 20A BMS inside but is not quite enough to run at 18A.
If you still have the old controller and the 780 LED panel in working condition, you can plug their GSM crank motor in, much simpler to install and cheaper to buy than a BBS01.

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster
Thank you both I was afraid of that but trying to convince myself it will be ok, as I've read the 250w is a bit under powered.
Definitely not. I have recently bought a BBS01 from Woosh and 15Ah battery with rack, their service was excellent.

Differences you will find amongst the vendors are the display supplied and how the software is configured - they are definitely not all the same.

Woosh only supply the Bafang C961 display which suited me fine. I wanted to be able to control the assistance levels with my left thumb rather than have to take my hand off the bar.

Regarding software configuration, Woosh units are sent out with " keep current " at 20% ( at least mine was ). This is IMO is very low. I have reset mine to 60% and the kit is transformed.

They may alter that for you, but I think it is worth buying a programming cable and reading up about what the various parameters do.
I recently wrote a thread on my Pashley Parabike conversion which covers all the changes I made.

currymonster

Mar 20, 2013
@ currymonster: d8veh is right, your sirocco battery is good for the BBS01 15A 250W. It has a 20A BMS inside but is not quite enough to run at 18A.
If you still have the old controller and the 780 LED panel in working condition, you can plug their GSM crank motor in, much simpler to install and cheaper to buy than a BBS01.
Hi trex , do you mean buy their TCM crank drive off Woosh? Will it fit my sirocco?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
not the TCM crank drives as they fit on the Krieger but the GSM motor that fits to the bottom bracket in the manner of the 8-Fun BBS01. The GSM test bike I rode was a 2012 Sirocco, the crank motor is plugged into the Sirrocco's controller. I got up to about 20-21mph with it. The test bike also had a bmsbattery's 48V 20A kit in a 09 casing mounted on the downtube. When that was swapped in, the GSM run like a scalded cat.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
So how much is a programming cable then ? Not meaning to be lazy -just on holiday where every megabytes costs a fortune !

So you can call me tight instead of lazy [emoji13]

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
not the TCM crank drives as they fit on the Krieger but the GSM motor that fits to the bottom bracket in the manner of the 8-Fun BBS01. The GSM test bike I rode was a 2012 Sirocco, the crank motor is plugged into the Sirrocco's controller. I got up to about 20-21mph with it. The test bike also had a bmsbattery's 48V 20A kit in a 09 casing mounted on the downtube. When that was swapped in, the GSM run like a scalded cat.
i cant find the gsm crank drive on woosh's website or by googling, am i misspelling something? it sounds very interesting.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
These kits have just left China, that's why they are not on their website yet

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
woosh is the agent as far as I know. The details should be on their website in a few days.

Reactions: selrahc1992

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster
So how much is a programming cable then ? Not meaning to be lazy -just on holiday where every megabytes costs a fortune !

So you can call me tight instead of lazy [emoji13]
35$ including postage from EMPowered Cycles in the USA. It will take about 5 days door to door. Works with BBS01/02. Lots of people on the forum have bought from this source without problem.