Battery upgrade advice sought

electricorange

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 9, 2021
I've been very much enjoying the bike I built around a Tongsheng TSDZ2 kit but I'm starting to conclude that it deserves a better battery. I've been using a Liito Kala 36V 10Ah battery which was very purchased very inexpensively (and brand new) via a random eBay seller - it was under £90 with the charger. It works well enough and I am fairly pleased with the solution I found for mounting it to the frame. However for my 17 mile (and back) hilly commute the battery is borderline inadequate. Something that would get me there and back comfortably would be much better.

Having had an issue with the charger failing I'm also nervous about reliability and stories of lithium battery fires are making me wonder whether something from a more reputable supplier is a good idea.

So I'm posting to ask advice on what and where to buy. I'm not sure whether the 10Ah quoted on the original battery is realistic, and as such I'm not sure what capacity I really need. Also I'm not sure where to buy and what type of case is best. I've looked at BMSbattery.com having seen the site mentioned elsewhere and they seem to offer good value but I have no idea what the quality is like.

Pics and more info on my build via the link below.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
I assume by '17 mile (and back)' you mean 17 mile each way, 34 total?
360Wh is certainly marginal for a 34 mile hilly commute. I would feel uncomfortable with less than 500Wh, preferably 600. You must be pretty much exhausting that battery (and yourself?) by the end of each day.

If it's 17 miles total the battery should be adequate, assuming it really is giving the 10Ah and has not started to deteriorate.

electricorange

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 9, 2021
I assume by '17 mile (and back)' you mean 17 mile each way, 34 total?
360Wh is certainly marginal for a 34 mile hilly commute. I would feel uncomfortable with less than 500Wh, preferably 600. You must be pretty much exhausting that battery (and yourself?) by the end of each day.

If it's 17 miles total the battery should be adequate, assuming it really is giving the 10Ah and has not started to deteriorate.
Yes, the battery is more than adequate for 17 miles, but not quite up to the 34 mile round trip. To tell the truth I am not yet commuting by e-bike - I've only done a trial run and am still using my car at the moment - I'd like to change that but I'm not quite ready to put my faith in the bike for this purpose.

So what about somehing like this?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes, the battery is more than adequate for 17 miles, but not quite up to the 34 mile round trip. To tell the truth I am not yet commuting by e-bike - I've only done a trial run and am still using my car at the moment - I'd like to change that but I'm not quite ready to put my faith in the bike for this purpose.

So what about somehing like this?

Do you know that you have to add the shipping cost to the BMSBattery items, and that you will have to pay around £40 duty? That battery will be close to £300 altogether. BMSBattery is good to get the right kit, but not cheap when you do. Yosepower batteries on Ebay are cheaper and probably just as good as that one, if not the same. Decent quality batteries are not cheap, but if all you want is a working battery, cheap ones are OK as long as not too cheap like the one you already got, which most likely has recycled cells in it. Expect to pay at least £180 for the cheapest proper battery.

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
This battery will work well with your setup and will give the range you require, 18 month warranty and shipped from UK, so no duty/VAT to pay. I've been inside a couple of Yosepower packs and they are well constructed. You need to add £100 for shipping from BMS + 20% VAT on total.

Last edited:
Reactions: electricorange