Battery upgrade advice sought

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
Rode it to work on Friday, was brilliant. Didn't quite have the guts to test the battery range properly (and was mainly using higher levels of assist) so I played it safe and took my charger in to work.

I'm considering leaving a separate charger at work. I actually have a spare unit that I bought earlier with the right connections and spec, but it's an eBay cheapy similar to the one below - and I'm wondering whether it might be better in the long run to pick up something better. Is there much in it between these £10 jobs and the £25 ish ones Yose supply? Or anything better still? I've had one of the cheap ones fail before (mains socket solder joint failure) so am a little wary of them...

Thanks for this thread - I was vaguely looking for an additional battery so have ordered a Yose from Ebay. Got the 10.4Ah one - hopefully a bit lighter. Smooth transaction and good price - hope that the battery performs as well.

electricorange

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 9, 2021
Plucked up the courage to try it on a round trip commute without charging - it does the business - so thanks all for the advice.

On the way there I used "speed" all the way, on the way back I panicked and thought i was about to run out of charge so set it to "tour" for most of the last leg. In the end there was charge left to spare so I used "turbo" for the final (steep) climb, and arrived back with plenty of charge left.

I've found the 16 mile journey takes about an hour, which is a significant improvement over a non-assisted ride, but still very tiring! Much nicer than driving but I'll have to work on my fitness...