Battery upgrade

StuartBB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 24, 2018
Hi, this may sound silly but I don't have much understanding of electrics. My bike runs on a 48v 12AH battery. Can I upgrade the bike to a 48v 20AH battery, just put it on without any adjustments? Thank you.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hi, this may sound silly but I don't have much understanding of electrics. My bike runs on a 48v 12AH battery. Can I upgrade the bike to a 48v 20AH battery, just put it on without any adjustments? Thank you.
Yes, if it is a 'dumb' battery with just red + and black - wires to the controller.

Ah is capacity, effectively the size of your 'fuel tank', so 20 Ah will give a lot more range than 12 Ah.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes , more Ah often means a heavier battery and the + benefit more range.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The electrics don't care what 48v battery you have, but the bike does. If you want an easy swap, you must get the same type of battery with the same connector. If its a Hailong type battery, there are three different connectors and three different bases, which makes 5 possibilities out of 6 to get it wrong.

StuartBB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 24, 2018
The electrics don't care what 48v battery you have, but the bike does. If you want an easy swap, you must get the same type of battery with the same connector. If its a Hailong type battery, there are three different connectors and three different bases, which makes 5 possibilities out of 6 to get it wrong.
Thank you! That makes sense. Yes it is a HL battery, so I will look out for one that has the same connectors! Thank you,!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thank you! That makes sense. Yes it is a HL battery, so I will look out for one that has the same connectors! Thank you,!
They come with a base, so you can replace them as a pair, but the different bases have different fixing hole positions, so it normally requires the frame to be drilled and extra rivnus installed.