Battery voltage exchange

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Hi if I change my battery that is 26 volt 10.5 ah
can I put a larger voltage battery in its place ?
reason I ask there does not seem to be a lot of 26 volt battery’s available
24v is what you need to look for. It's unlikely your controller will cope with a higher voltage ie; 36v.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
24v is the nominal voltage, it's 29.4v fully charged. I'm not sure why they call yours 26v? To check, have a look at your charger, it should have the voltage on it somewhere, should be 29.4v.

Itsshreck

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2021
24v is the nominal voltage, it's 29.4v fully charged. I'm not sure why they call yours 26v? To check, have a look at your charger, it should have the voltage on it somewhere, should be 29.4v.
hi Pete thanks for reply
it says 29.4 on charger
i am still in a dilemma the bike is nothing special but good enough for what we need
someone has directed me to a website from here and a soft battery pack works out about 160 delivered
on the other hand I have been looking on another site and I can buy simular including charger for less than 59 delivered
i know you get what you pay for just wondering anyone thoughts ?

thanks again

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
There is a huge difference in battery call quality, and in general you get what you pay for.
Some differences are:
  • how much capacity does the cell have (affects your range)
  • how much current can the cell deliver at a continuous rate (affect power for longer range cycling)
  • how much current can the cell deliver for short bursts and how much does the voltage drop while it is delivering it (affects power eg on hills)
  • how may recharge cycles can the cell have before losing capacity (affects life)
And when you bey a complete pack you need to know how many cells in what arrangement.

If you post information about the 160 pound and 59 pound alternatives one of the experts will probably be able to give some guidance. Often the cheap ones don't even say what cells they have so it is very difficult to judge. If you only plan short leisure journeys on flattish land and don't want to use lots of assistance the difference may not be important to you. If you want to go up steep hills with almost no effort the difference will be critical (though you may have difficult with that using a 24v system even with the best battery).

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Forget paying £59 for a battery, it will be junk, honestly, don't go there. A soft pack from the company I suggested on your other thread will be the one to go for, just make sure it fits your case.

Itsshreck

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2021
Forget paying £59 for a battery, it will be junk, honestly, don't go there. A soft pack from the company I suggested on your other thread will be the one to go for, just make sure it fits your case.
thanks guys for your help I really appreciate it

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Hi sorry one final question hopefully
if I order the battery pack 24 volt from the site you suggested will the charger I already have be ok to charge it ?
Yes, it will be fine. You will need to solder/heatshrink the pack wires onto the charge/discharge connectors on your case. Do one at a time and heatshrink as you go and check polarity, don't rely on the colour of the wires. Get a cheap multimeter if you don't have one, much cheaper than a new controller. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Itsshreck

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2021
Yes, it will be fine. You will need to solder/heatshrink the pack wires onto the charge/discharge connectors on your case. Do one at a time and heatshrink as you go and check polarity, don't rely on the colour of the wires. Get a cheap multimeter if you don't have one, much cheaper than a new controller. :)
Once again thanks for your help and advice