Battery Waterproofing

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I'm probably going to be cycling in heavy rain at some point and am not convinced my bottle battery is waterproof, I mean even around the led lights at the top, these seem loose and water could easily run into there. Are these batterries more waterproof than they appear? or should I be covering it up with a shower cap or something?

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
If you are worried about it just cover with a piece of cling-film, easy to carry a bit in your pocket. But I think it will be ok.

D

Deleted member 4366

Always assume not waterproof, but if you decide to seal things up, make sure that there's always a way for any incoming water to get out.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Good point about assume not waterproof if in doubt.
I like the clingfilm idea, I'll give it a try.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
On my bottle battery under the lights is a small PCb with connects via a couple
Of wires to the main BMS

You certainly don't want water dripping though onto that !

Having said that I ride regardless of all but worst of snow/ ice and not had a battery issue. Only waterproofing I have made is some extra black electrical PVC tape around seal between metal main body and plastic top/bottom sections

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Wrapping my new bike in cling film is not something I'm keen on because I don't fancy having to explain why to people, after just spent £800 on the bike! They might reasonably ask, why one should have to do such a crude thing.

On the other hand I am unimpressed by my bikes apparent lack of attention to waterproofing. I think I'll I'll go with PVC waterproof tape around the battery area, in black of course so as to be hardly noticeable.

This is a shame as I reckon I'm more likely to ride my electric bike in the rain than my non-electric bike (less sweating likely)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
all batteries are waterproofed with rubber gaskets - the problem area is around the connection with the controller. I'd grease the metal contacts for peace of mind.

I take it your bike is still under warranty? Chuck a large bucket of water over your battery. Wait a little bit then pull the battery out and take a look.

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
all batteries are waterproofed with rubber gaskets - the problem area is around the connection with the controller. I'd grease the metal contacts for peace of mind.

I take it your bike is still under warranty? Chuck a large bucket of water over your battery. Wait a little bit then pull the battery out and take a look.
Yes that's an idea. Having just been inside the controller casing, I deduce that a good idea would be to drill 4 holes at each corner to drain away any water that gets in.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Total overkill but....

Perhaps one could buy gore tex material (you can easily get MOD stuff in eBay) cut to size and cover a battery ??

Unlike simple plastic sheet this should still allow some level of breathing ability ?

Any ideas from technical perspective ( hassle/money/looks being a different kettle of fish !)

melb-ourne

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 3, 2013
melb, australia
Last edited:

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Something like NeverWet is designed for an occasional protection in the event of being caught out by a heavy shower, etc and would need re-proofing every so often. It's no substitute for a proper waterproofing job, using mechanical or goopy means.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Since it's done nothing but rain for my first couple weeks I thought I would do a quick update. The showercap idea works a treat complete with a reflective band and elastic band, or even a couple of elastic bands to help keep it in place. Also a carrier bag works a treat used in the same way too. I also leave the showercap covering the terminal pins when it's left outside and the battery is removed.
Pic attached and just waiting for comments on what it looks like.
IMG_3693.jpg

Reactions: Sharding1995

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Since it's done nothing but rain for my first couple weeks I thought I would do a quick update. The showercap idea works a treat complete with a reflective band and elastic band, or even a couple of elastic bands to help keep it in place. Also a carrier bag works a treat used in the same way too. I also leave the showercap covering the terminal pins when it's left outside and the battery is removed.
Pic attached and just waiting for comments on what it looks like.
View attachment 7335
I know this is like two years on or so but how does the underside get waterproofed that way? It looks like there's a gap. I'd worry about cycling through a puddle and getting upwards splash.

Just received my 4oz PU waterproof nylon 1m x 1.5m from ebay, time to get stitching. It's a really lovely fabric in the black, with one shiny and one velvety side.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I know this is like two years on or so but how does the underside get waterproofed that way? It looks like there's a gap. I'd worry about cycling through a puddle and getting upwards splash.
The cover is only really to stop rain water running down into the top LED area as that isn't sealed and also any joints, which it does quite well. I didn't consider water splashing upward but I've cycled through some bad rain with deep puddles and I've not really had a battery-water problem using this. I still use this idea as it seems to work ok and have used nearly all 10 shower caps now as 1 lasts a few months until it's stretched too much.

Reactions: jonathan75

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I use Evostick on all places where cables go into things, even the brake levers.
The display panel on my Woosh is a problem, I sealed around it with clear silicone, not a neat job. if you do not fully tighten the display panel, you can rotate it to vertical in rain.
Only wish manufacturers paid more attention to waterproofing, we are back in the bad old days of Wipac and Lucas fittings on motor bikes when it comes to ebikes.

Reactions: VictoryV