Battery weather tight

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Do they still make oilskin capes? Mine is around 30 years old and needing replacement fairly soon. It weighs a ton (well, perhaps a couple of kilograms) but that's what makes it so good - it doesn't flap all over the place in the wind like the flimsy polythene capes you see nowadays that make people say capes are a waste of time. I tried one and threw it away - the old fashioned ones are brilliant.
I think that they were just lightweight cotton soaked in Linseed oil

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Back to original question, I think water ingress depends more on the specific battery mounting setup than where on the bike is mounted. Our Woosh tandem conversion with a Hailong battery on the middle tube (maybe 20 degrees off horizontal) has the connections pretty well enclosed underneath the battery. The only wet I can see getting in is (a) if we went through a very big puddle and water was thrown up underneath from the front wheel (despite mudguards) (b) if we went through a ford, (c) we were really silly while cleaning it.

The mount on our Motus with rear mounted Bosch battery is less well designed. The battery pushes up to the mount leaving a small vertical gap for water to get in. Admittedly the gap is small, and the actual connections have a little more protection. Also, the rails the battery sits on are designed so it is easy to push the battery home but not correctly mounted on the rails. This leaves a slightly bigger gap, and a battery that rattles and is probably doing no good to the connections.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thank you, use water sparingly seems to be the message.
Or not at all in my case. I can't remember when my bike was last cleaned. I let the rain clean it. It's the same with my car, except I've recently changed my dirt coloured one for a white one, so it might show up now.

L6mbt

Pedelecer
Feb 1, 2019
I remember, as a youngster, using a light plastic cape. Not only did it flap about, in strong winds it acted like a sail and threatened to blow you off course. My preference these days is for a good Goretex jacket and a pair of "Rainlegs", a Dutch product that easily, and quickly, ties on and covers the thighs, knees and crotch area.