BATTERY WRAP

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Silly question what size heat shrink do i need to cover a hailong 2 battery need to repackage this [inside from a yose power 12.5 ah 48v ]IMG_20201106_165948584.jpg

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I've never seen a wrapped Hailong battery. they all have bare cells. If you want to wrap it, you just need heatshrink tube that's big enough to go over it.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Yes but my tired old brain thinks dia of 100-120mm but sellers quote flat various 170- 200mm but brain does not get it :eek: the case will not fit in the frame triangle :rolleyes: fs frame

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
That's your warranty gone then, and you've only had a couple of days lol !!

Surf_Wonder

Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2020
Yes but a cheap way to get a custom battery and charger
My gear 48v 14ah for appox £47 (its BMS protected with charger included) x2, a parallel "Y" connector (for big journeys/camping) and because I messed up, shorted the charging cable of the battery, a Female 5.5mm x 2.1mm 25cm DC Power Barrel Jack Connector the charger has a DC connector ( my metal brow tweezers or nail file was the culprit oh the bang sparks and flame [sigh] I digress.

I foam and shirk wrapped (can't see the battery label now but so what ... drop protection comes first ), got soldering here n there including a inline fuse and now my bike is so light easy to carry and lift on/off trains, and more importantly I have '2' chargers included in the £93.39 cost of my versatile 2 battery kit.

For me not having those Hailong battery case is a blessing. Just sharing so that you can see there's other cheap options if you're comfortable with a soldering iron. BTW you can just buy a new case...

Attachments

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For shrink wrap one has to add up the two dimensions to get a flat shrink size then once this is come buy add up to 50% to that figure to allow shrink.

Battery pack that say measures 110mm x 95mm will be 205mm when added together, so one would need to buy shrink wrap of a minimum 205mm size. To allow for shrink when heated one needs to opt for something larger at 260mm - 300mm shrink, other wise the battery pack will simply not fit. When one wraps the battery the shrink looks massive until heat is applied.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My gear 48v 14ah for appox £47 (its BMS protected with charger included) x2, a parallel "Y" connector (for big journeys/camping) and because I messed up, shorted the charging cable of the battery, a Female 5.5mm x 2.1mm 25cm DC Power Barrel Jack Connector the charger has a DC connector ( my metal brow tweezers or nail fil.
And have you capacity tested to see if you get 672wh from the £47 soft pack ? At only 3 cells paralleled 14ah is wishful thinking, if you had a watt meter inline you could tell us what the actual wh is for a complete discharge.

£47 doesn't even buy a dozen decent 10a cells, let alone 39 for 13s3p. A BMS is £15 or so. The total price for a 48v 14ah battery just doesn't add up.

Last edited:

Surf_Wonder

Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2020
Paralleled , with the 145ltr load you see in the profile pic I was very comfortable at levels 3 and 4 - mainly uphill and high winds on the roads 12/13 miles with juice to spare (Barnstaple to Croyde Bay and a little runaround in between :-D).

The battery unit once fully charged is a cough over 52v. ;) , I'm very very VERY comfortable with the performance of the batteries so I've had no reason to test them ESPECIALLY at that price - I'll pull out my multi-meter when I need to ... I just don't need to.

Unless I'm doing a run that needs me to carry 45ltrs of drinks or/and the DIY run I don't trailer up and parallel connect but I did expect the worst and wasn't expecting to still be happy (I bought 2 with the expectation of parallel connecting) .

Chopping leads, adding wire connectors, making dc to dc conversion units so that I can power other things ... I went in eyes wide open because those batteries aren't just used to power my bike :) yes I agree even though "the claim" is 14ah I doubt it is, it is 13/3 ... and lucky for me I flagged other naughtiness so full confessions the price was zero ... [again with the digressing ]

I'll rip off the sleeve and get counting and measuring when I don't have so many projects on the go o_Oo_O

Last edited: