BB Quartz - Fork suspension seized

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
I bought my Quartz a year ago but havn’t ridden it yet due to medical probs following a h/a, I had to move the bike yesterday (to make way for a new freezer delivery), I noticed when moving it that the front forks appeared solid where they should be telescopic and have at least some movement. Can anyone here offer guidance on what to do about this as there doesn’t appear to be any form of release points similar to those on my 1952 Sunbeam S8 motorcycle, it may sound stupid but havn’t worked on cycles for years (much before tele suspension).
Many thanks

Jim

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
If it's not moved for a while the top seals may have dried out.
Apply a small amount of WD40, or similar, to the suspension tube seals. Leave for 10 minutes, sit astride the bike, apply the brakes and try to push down on the handlebars.
If it continues to stick all the way down, keep applying small amounts of the releasing agent till they work free.
Then use this periodically... LUBE

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Soaked forks with WD40 - and better soaked them....but no budge, they’re stuck fast, any other suggestions please.

Jim

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Take off the front wheel and try again. This worked for me once. The front axle was splaying the forks slightly outwards and I had to readjust washers.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I bought my Quartz a year ago but havn’t ridden it yet due to medical probs following a h/a, I had to move the bike yesterday (to make way for a new freezer delivery), I noticed when moving it that the front forks appeared solid where they should be telescopic and have at least some movement. Can anyone here offer guidance on what to do about this as there doesn’t appear to be any form of release points similar to those on my 1952 Sunbeam S8 motorcycle, it may sound stupid but havn’t worked on cycles for years (much before tele suspension).
Many thanks

Jim
I hope that the tips already given get your problem fixed quickly. Getting someone, heavy if possible, to ride it may help to free it up quicker....but to do it in a safe manner, away from traffic....
My thoughts though, are with the bike battery! Have you been keeping an "eye on it" using a volt/Multi Meter, and putting a bit of charge into it every month or so? Just ignoring it completely, may give you expensive problems at a later date....
A year is a long time in the life/death of a modern battery....
I have got to the point (feel free to disagree!), that anyone with an e-bike, needs to have such a meter handy, and also to know how and when to use it, as it is far cheaper to buy than almost any new bike battery....
I hope all is well.
Regards
Andy

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Andy, Thanks for the info, I’ve not yet sorted the suspension problem (laziness I suppose?)....not really but found the other day that my strength is not yet adequate to be safe on the bike with my heart failure condition - but signs are that I’m on the mend which really pleases me.

I’ve just checked my 36v battery which shows 40.4 volts - I believe well on the safety side according to instruction from ‘Jimmy’ at BGA REWORKING Co. having spent quite a sum renewing the cells with him I trust his information on the battery’s upkeep as my knowledge on such things is minimal- except that I use smaller Lipos to power my model aircraft.

Jimmy at BGA says ‘Do not charge the battery fully if you intend storing it for a lengthy period’ and in my 36 v battery’s case he says ‘don’t let voltage drop below 25 volts’.

Jim

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Andy, Thanks for the info, I’ve not yet sorted the suspension problem (laziness I suppose?)....not really but found the other day that my strength is not yet adequate to be safe on the bike with my heart failure condition - but signs are that I’m on the mend which really pleases me.

I’ve just checked my 36v battery which shows 40.4 volts - I believe well on the safety side according to instruction from ‘Jimmy’ at BGA REWORKING Co. having spent quite a sum renewing the cells with him I trust his information on the battery’s upkeep as my knowledge on such things is minimal- except that I use smaller Lipos to power my model aircraft.

Jimmy at BGA says ‘Do not charge the battery fully if you intend storing it for a lengthy period’ and in my 36 v battery’s case ‘don’t let voltage drop below 25 volts’.

Jim
"Jimmy" is mostly correct!
And obviously, you can use a meter, which is a Godsend with this hobby!
Much discussion here, but around 30-34 volts for storage is fine, but do check regularly!
Even the best batteries self discharge, the good ones slower, the cheap ones faster!
Charge a bit again when the voltage goes to just over 30 volts.
25 volts is simply far too low for any real safety!
You could possibly lose the battery completely....
Use your smart phone to tell you when to check, so that its not forgotten!
Some prefer even higher storage voltage than I do.....their choice of course!
Best wishes for the New Year for you and yours!
Andy

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Thanks Andy for your valued interest, it’s appreciated.
HNY greetings to you and yours.

Jim

Reactions: Andy-Mat