BB7 Brake Caliper dimensions??

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
bit of a technical question so i will try my best.

when my father-in-law and myself attached the kit to a mongose mountain bike there was much fiddling and messing to get it to fit but we got there.

one small casualty is the rear brake caliper is very close to the hub in the wheel. when i try to adjust the allen key that moves the inner brake pad closer to the disc i cant get to it with an allen key. the only way we could do it is to take the nut out and file slots into the very small amount that sticks out so we can use a thin screwdriver to push the bolt tighter. hopefully that makes sense.

because of this messing my f-i-l said he'd seen some calipers with a adjuster knob on but we cant see that knob to buy on it's own so i was looking at the bb7 calipers (wouldnt need the discs i dont think) but was worried about clearance.

so... does anyone have experience with this problem or have actually measurements of the distance from the disc surface to the edge of that adjuster knob?

thanks guys

D

Deleted member 4366

Is it not possible to undo the two caliper retainingng screws, turn the adjuster, and screw the caliper back in place. Should only take a minute.

Another solution is to fit a bigger disk to move the caliper out further where you can get at it.

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
cheers guys.

i guess either solution is better than the way i currently do it.

thanks also for the details when you can get them for me but also, is there a cheap way of getting bb7's with those bigger discs or is it better to get the calipers say off ebay then get seperate discs?

thanks again guys.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes. If you're going to buy those calipers, you might not need the adapter because you get some with them.

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
cheers.

unfortunately the post doesnt state whether they are adapters to allow 180mm discs so i have asked the seller that question to confirm.

thanks so far

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
hi d8veh i got the reply to the question and the seller said the adapters were for only 160mm.

i am looking at the sets but they are all inc 160mm so i will need to buy separate callipers, rotors and adapters i think.

do you think it worth going to 203mm or would 185mm give sufficient clearance compared to the 160mm? that should translate to 12.5mm extra height i guess.

D

Deleted member 4366

All my hub-motors have 180mm discs and I've never had a problem. 185mm would also be OK, but I think 203mm won't look right and you'll struggle to find a big enough adapter.