BBC London, E Go Street Scoota

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Today's BBC London TV news had an item on the launch of the £999 E-Go Street Scoota, could take some e-bike sales at that price.

Range and speed only good enough for in town commutig/shopping etc, but at a bike price, plenty could afford it.

Here's an online news site giving the Scoota details.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Today's BBC London TV news had an item on the launch of the £999 E-Go Street Scoota, could take some e-bike sales at that price.

Range and speed only good enough for in town commutig/shopping etc, but at a bike price, plenty could afford it.

Here's an online news site giving the Scoota details.

Interesting. It was in the papers yesterday but there was little detail. I looked it up on the website but no information was given about batteries - probably lead given the price (and as they expect the life expectancy to be about 18 months). Not tempted myself but I am sure there will be plenty who are - given that they say it needs no servicing just routine maintenance. I remember my scooter was always needing servicing and thus cost a fortune to run. Insurance wasn't cheap either. Mind you it was quite stylish and I had just been living in Rome and so wanted to keep a little bit of that magic!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Mind you it was quite stylish and I had just been living in Rome and so wanted to keep a little bit of that magic!
Don't think scooter riding in London could ever quite match that image Hal. :)

Insurance should be quite low on these with the genuine 30 mph top speed, rather than the fake one of petrol powered ones. At that price it's in the impulse buy credit card region and I think could tempt many in the current economic climate, no tax, no congestion charge and peanuts running cost.

It had a good spot on that news (which will probably be repeated in the 6.30 edition of BBC London News tonight) with it being ridden on London streets and plenty of information. For once there was no exaggeration, the rider commenting the range as being realistically nearer 20 miles, but that's enough for many, especially with increasing numbers of charging points being provided.

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
The article seems inconsistent. It says you can use bus lanes (okay for pedal cycles, not motor bikes) but also says you may need Compulsory Basic Training (motorcycle). I don't think you can pedal it, so I expect it's legally a moped, and so far as I know they aren't allowed in bus lanes.
Mary

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Range would certainly put me off - it is a shame they couldn't squeeze 30 miles out of it. Not sure it would quite get me to work and back and at least with my battery I can take it out and charge it. Not sure what the average distance is that people travel to work but I am sure that it is not as high as 10 miles so would suit them. Certainly when I had my scooter I was much more adventurous than I am on a bicycle - I went everywhere on it. Interesting to see if it becomes a seller though.

I am going back to dreaming of Rome....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The article seems inconsistent. It says you can use bus lanes (okay for pedal cycles, not motor bikes) but also says you may need Compulsory Basic Training (motorcycle). I don't think you can pedal it, so I expect it's legally a moped, and so far as I know they aren't allowed in bus lanes.
Mary
It is legally a moped and cannot use bus lanes for the moment, though there's a move to change that currently for London.

The licence position is this, if someone passed their driving test prior to February 2001, their existing licence is ok for the Street Scoota, otherwise they'll need to take the Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course.

Since this is more likely to appeal to the mature and not the noise loving kids, many prospective buyers will already be qualified.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Django. Good to have that quality fuller information, and it's a sign that Firebox.com are serious about this. Wouldn't it be nice if all e-bike companies took as much care in providing adequate information for prospective buyers and users.