BBS 02 question

djneils98

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2021
When using the throttle on these do the pedals stay locked and spin or is there a clutch so you can use the throttle and freewheel?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The motor has a clutch for freewheeling like all mid drives otherwise they would just be dangerous.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
But you are not 'freewheeling' if you are running the motor from a throttle, are you? I think the OP wants the motor to drive the chain, but not the pedals.

montwo

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
Most people would understand freewheeling to be synonymous with not pedalling.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
A
But you are not 'freewheeling' if you are running the motor from a throttle, are you? I think the OP wants the motor to drive the chain, but not the pedals.
Most mid drives by their inherent design, allow the motor to drive the chainring without spinning the pedals. As Nealh quite rightly mentions, it would be dangerous if they didn't.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
When using 'walk mode' on my mid motor bosch drives (Tern, and not R&M) it most definitely turned the pedals, and it is a PITA. I don't have a throttle, so it is just 2 or 3 mph. Just enough to bang your ankles.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
When using 'walk mode' on my mid motor bosch drives (Tern, and not R&M) it most definitely turned the pedals, and it is a PITA. I don't have a throttle, so it is just 2 or 3 mph. Just enough to bang your ankles.
Mine does that on the BBS02, but it's due to the fact that my feet aren't on the pedals and the clutch/axle has a tiny bit of stickiness. Enough to turn the pedals and bang ankles when walking, but not enough to turn pedals when riding and feet are on the pedals.

I do sometimes use this to my advantage though, as I don't have a throttle. I give the pedals a quick spin forward and ride with my feet off the pedals and the motor and pedals will spin to coast me along :)

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As Ford has said, a slight bit of friction and the cranks will turn, if not wanting to bash ankles in walk mode always carry a brick and string to weight one of the pedals to prevent this :rolleyes:.

• :D
Reactions: Fordulike

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
All you need to do is tie abit of string or bungee elastic to your frame somewhere and tie a hook to the other end, I'm sure you can find a convenien way to leave it tucked out of the way, then, when you want to push, clip the hook on the pedal to stop it from turning.

Pedals even go round when you push bikes with no motor. It just depens how much friction/stiction you have in your drive train.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
Ah, when I push mine the freewheel stops the chain / belt from moving, so no way could the pedals turn. I will try the bungee trick in walk mode, or see if the friction can be adjusted.. I don't think I realised there was a clutch mechanism between the cranks and the chainwheel, so independent rotation was even an option.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
I have a BBS01 and in walk mode, the pedals stay still. I have the impression that mechanically it is pretty much like the BBS02 so I can't explain that, unless it is better lubricated than some others and the slight drag mentioned above is not present in mine.

The biggest draw back of the design is that if your battery shuts off because it has reached the low voltage shutdown level, which mine did once, the pedalling effort I had to put in was more than I'd have liked because I think I was having to spin the motor as well as pedal the bike. I had to select a pretty low gear on a hilly road and work hard.

Apart from that one gripe, the motor has been great, and i can hardly ever hear it. Unless I am moving very slowly indeed, the ordinary wind noise of cycling is enough to mask any motor sound. So far - about 450 miles, it has been great.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
The biggest draw back of the design is that if your battery shuts off because it has reached the low voltage shutdown level, which mine did once, the pedalling effort I had to put in was more than I'd have liked because I think I was having to spin the motor as well as pedal the bike. I had to select a pretty low gear on a hilly road and work hard.
The internal nylon gear has a clutch too, so it disengages the motor from the chainring when you pedal without power. So basically, any pedaling resistance comes from the large final drive cog, the smaller pinion cog and of course your bike's drivetrain.

My BBS02 final drive is lubricated with open gear grease, which quietens the gear noise, but makes it a bitch to pedal without power.

Reactions: Tony1951

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The internal nylon gear has a clutch too, so it disengages the motor from the chainring when you pedal without power. So basically, any pedaling resistance comes from the large final drive cog, the smaller pinion cog and of course your bike's drivetrain.

My BBS02 final drive is lubricated with open gear grease, which quietens the gear noise, but makes it a bitch to pedal without power.
Oh thanks. That is great information. Maybe I am just weaker than I thought and am being exhausted by a bit of grease... :) Three score years and ten, and all that.