Help! BBS01 starts pedalling from power on

DennisK312

Just Joined
Sep 8, 2020
Hello all,

I'm new in the world of pedelecs and i have a question about a bafang bbs01 motor.
I have replaced the controller of my bbs01 motor and when i turn the power on the motor starts spinning right away.
I dont think this is normal ( i dont really know because i got the bike while it was already broken)
I thought it would only spin up when pedalling.

I have no throttle on the bike only a switch with power on/off and a plus and minus to alter the assist mode.
When ipress the minus switch the motor stops but then there is no pedal assist.

Is there anyone that can confirm that this is normal behaviour or can someone point me in the right direction of what the problem can be?

Thanks,

Dennis

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
That's not normal. The default on powering up is PAS 1. You say pressing the minus key stops the motor, but disables the PAS. Well that makes sense, coz theoretically you've put it at PAS 0, which is zero assist from the PAS.

I can only assume that something is wrong with how the new controller is programmed, but without looking at your particular parameters, it's difficult to say if it definitely is this.

Can you elaborate on how the bike was broken and why you decided to replace the controller?

DennisK312

Just Joined
Sep 8, 2020
The reason why i changed the controller was that it did nothing at all, only powered the display.
when i pressed the minus swich and hold it, it should have 'pushed' the bike at start, but it gave a very short hickup and then gave a fault code. After checking alot of things i then replaced the controller.
Now it works and it brings me up to 30 km/h but i want to know why it starts to pedal when i switch it on.

BTW i have no throttle, could this be the problem, maybe the controller detects a throttle input?

i also have a programming cable but that won't fit. the connector from the display has 6 pins and the programming cable has 5 pins. the connector looks the same, only to have 1 pin extra in the middle.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Check that the pins in the throttle connector aren't bent and shorting.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Could it be a bbs01 clone or the very early model more pics required any cables damaged can you disconnect the brake cut outs one at a time if fitted ?

DennisK312

Just Joined
Sep 8, 2020
I dont know if it is a old model or a clone.
The brake sensors work fine. When braking front or rear the power to the motor cuts, so thats oke.
I will try to take some pictures.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have a 2014 BBS01 and the paraphials look nothing like those, the mid drive to me is a clone of another producer. Possibly it might be a very very early Bafang design, as Peter says a pic of the main drive unit.

Last edited: