BBS02 died on hitting bump

JonathanB

Just Joined
Nov 17, 2018
Hello

I hope someone can help me because I have run out of ideas.

I have a BBS02 500W 36v conversion I have been commuting on for about 18 months with no issues. About a month ago on going over a bump the electrics all shut down and the display was dead. It refused to switch on although occasionally the display would briefly power up for half a second or so. I rode it for the rest of the week unpowered and without the battery because I didn't have time to check for a fault. That weekend I started checking for a wiring fault but couldn't find anything. However, with no idea what I did it decided to work again.

However, this week the same thing happened again.
I have tested the battery output and it is reading 40v. I removed the motor and checked the internal wiring plugs and they all seem fine. I have a programming cable so I plugged that in place of the display and I get no throttle response. When the battery is plugged into the motor but nothing else is plugged on the wiring loom the volts starts at about 10v then climbs to 40v at a rate of about 0.1 v every 2 seconds. I have no idea what that might indicate.

My best guess is I either have a wiring fault in the loom that I cant' find or the motor controller has failed? Does this seem likely? Is there a way anyone can suggest that I could work out which it is?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
What battery do you have ? If hailong style then try cleaning the contacts and also bending the receiving springs little. Over time they can become a little stretched and stopmaking good contact. Especially when bump dislodge

I'd also try plugging your multimeter into battery and shaking it like I've had welds go inside battery packs before. Then behave intermittently when the nickel strip is either pressed into the cell so it works , or a small bump lifts it off and creates a cutout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The issue can be any where.
You need to be methodical in testing /checking rather then guessing at this or that.
Controllers usually work or not they often don't give a middle ground, though on BBS can give strange power surges when failing.

Start with battery V output, if ok put in on bike and turn on.

Next check controller (Controller will need to be connected but removed from unit). Check input & output voltage, at the input wires V+ & V-, you should see full battery voltage. For output via the phase wires, Black probe on Gnd/V- and red probe in turn on each of the 3 coloured phase wires. You should see a third of the voltage on each phase ( ideally a throttle will need to be connected and actuated to see voltage).

If all above pans out you have to look elsewhere which leaves the battery or an intermittent wire fault.

Harsh terrain may cause the nickel parallel or some series strips to detach if any welds are weak, this can lead to charging not commencing or a shorter then usual charge time.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
check the output connector on the battery first. The leaf springs may get weaken over time, causing a poor contact. Can you post a picture of that battery contact points?