BBS02 intermittent power (advice needed please)

douglas martin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 7, 2018
I have recently installed (1 week ago) a BBS02 750w 48v with 48v 20ah battery onto my Voodoo Bizango mountain bike. I have completed approx 150k in the first week and was working perfectly the previous day. I went to use it the following day and there was no power to the drive using PAS or thumb throttle. Battery fully charged and computer display showing all was good.

I checked all connections and all are fine. However, if I hit the throttle several times it will give sudden power and then if i try again its dead. Any advice would be good because when it was working it has been great, really enjoyed it. And i'm invested £750, so I am kinda desperate for a solution.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Disconnect the throttle and brake cut offs if you have them fitted and try the pedal assist. If it works, reconnect the cut offs first, one at a time, and retest PAS, then finally throttle if all else works.

douglas martin

Dec 7, 2018
Hi Pete,
Thanks for the quick reply, I already tried that but with no luck. PAS doesnt kick in at all.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I have recently installed (1 week ago) a BBS02 750w 48v with 48v 20ah battery onto my Voodoo Bizango mountain bike. I have completed approx 150k in the first week and was working perfectly the previous day. I went to use it the following day and there was no power to the drive using PAS or thumb throttle. Battery fully charged and computer display showing all was good.

I checked all connections and all are fine. However, if I hit the throttle several times it will give sudden power and then if i try again its dead. Any advice would be good because when it was working it has been great, really enjoyed it. And i'm invested £750, so I am kinda desperate for a solution.
You didnt by any chance get the throttle soaked in rain? I and many others have suffered controller issues after such a situation. Those symptoms are familiar to this.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Sh#t, what is going on with Bafang mid drives lately. Your the second person in 3-4 days with this issue. There is a long standing problem with water ingress into the throttle which causes intermittent running and then very quickly, ultermate controller failure. It is sounding like you have suffered this problem. Get in touch with your supplier and discribe your problem, hopefully they will be willing to help. Although we are told that improvements have been made to the Mosfets in newer controllers, I can't help feeling that Bafang are cutting costs and using inferior components in other areas, which are leading to this issue, other systems just aren't this delicate.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My older v1 BBS01 with throttle had many a soaking whilst commuting and never had an issue with rain causing any problems.

douglas martin

Dec 7, 2018
Okay, after trying lots of troubleshooting I have bitten the bullet and ordered new controller and thumb throttle from faster bikes.eu. I’ll share the outcome. Thanks for all the advice.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ideally for BBS a Wuxing 108X is the most water proof model if you have space for it, it has a lateral thumb lever and wire entry underneath.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Yeah, i was out in the rain. is there a remedy?
open the throttle and use silicone /glue gun to seal the 3 wires that are soldered to the hall sensor.so water cant make them short and send bad signals to the controller. leave the bike a few days an see if it starts working again.As i said to another guy recently ,with the same issue. the controller often seems to get damaged and needs replacing from this sort of thing.i went through it myself.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Sh#t, what is going on with Bafang mid drives lately. Your the second person in 3-4 days with this issue. There is a long standing problem with water ingress into the throttle which causes intermittent running and then very quickly, ultermate controller failure. It is sounding like you have suffered this problem. Get in touch with your supplier and discribe your problem, hopefully they will be willing to help. Although we are told that improvements have been made to the Mosfets in newer controllers, I can't help feeling that Bafang are cutting costs and using inferior components in other areas, which are leading to this issue, other systems just aren't this delicate.
they are idiots. you only lose custom from problematic products. when a little more care like waterproofing a throttle can make your product become highly praised for reliability. Its a no brainer but the common thing sadly since britain stopped making everything. Same with stingy pie makers.put some ***king meat in it an ill buy it again an again!

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
they are idiots. you only lose custom from problematic products
TBH, i don't think they give a sh#t, their retailers take all the flack from unhappy customers. the throttles are made by Wuxing, so Bafang can just deny responsibility if they wish, but you would think a blob of silicon would not add a huge amount to production costs.