BBS02 (Old Type Controller) broken, wiring help.

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
Been a member of this forum since 2009 and got fantastic help on here which helped me get started in ebiking. I remember especially a chap called Flecc, who seemed to know absolutely everything and answered every question going, don't know whether he is still around. I have followed the forum over the years but have never felt competent to answer anybody's questions unfortunately. So, obviously I am here again to ask something!
I have run a BBS02 with a 36 volt battery for about 4 years until it cut out on me and wouldn't work. I have been told that both the LCD display (C961) AND the controller are fried. I have a replacement C961 but the controller, from China, is going to take forever. What I would like to know is if there is any way I can test just the motor itself rather than wait months for the controller only to find the motor is gone as well. I have seperated the controller from the motor and disconnected everything and am left with 3 heavy gauge wires going into the motor YELLOW, GREEN and BLUE. Can I connect the two battery wires to 2 of these wires as a quick check that the motor is working? As you can tell I have zero electrical sense!
Thanks
PeterBafang wires.jpg

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi Peter

Welcome back - flecc is very much still here and full of knowledge!

Straight to the point - no, you absolutely can't! Those three wires are phase wires. The controller sends pulses to make the motor work (very old style brushed motors had just two wires - positive a d negative and the test you suggest would work)

However, it really is rather Doubtful the motor is faulty but you could remove the drive side cover for a visual inspection

Have you tried green bike kit for a new controller?

Or if really Desparate someone like Woosh could supply a bbs01 controller quickly. I have one strapped to my bbs02b as a short term thing. That was maybe a year ago! The lower spec keeps the beer gut away!

Brighton Ebikes are think are out of stock for bbs02 controllers but always worth calling Darren too

Reactions: Pete

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
I would be 99% certain that the actual motor is ok, it will be the controller FET`s that have blown, very common with the early 02`s, that was their weak point.
I think there`s three, they can be replaced with upgraded items with careful soldering.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I would be 99% certain that the actual motor is ok, it will be the controller FET`s that have blown, very common with the early 02`s, that was their weak point.
I think there`s three, they can be replaced with upgraded items with careful soldering.
True but the whole pcb is potted in thick silicon too - absolute bugger to remove and ery delicate soldering required With the greatest respect to OP I'm not sure that fix is within his ability ( by own admission!!)

But totally agree motor failure is super unlikely

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
Hi Peter

Welcome back - flecc is very much still here and full of knowledge!

Straight to the point - no, you absolutely can't! Those three wires are phase wires. The controller sends pulses to make the motor work (very old style brushed motors had just two wires - positive a d negative and the test you suggest would work)

However, it really is rather Doubtful the motor is faulty but you could remove the drive side cover for a visual inspection

Have you tried green bike kit for a new controller?

Or if really Desparate someone like Woosh could supply a bbs01 controller quickly. I have one strapped to my bbs02b as a short term thing. That was maybe a year ago! The lower spec keeps the beer gut away!

Brighton Ebikes are think are out of stock for bbs02 controllers but always worth calling Darren too
Thank you for the quick response. The main thing you nailed first - I can't do it !
Greenbikekit is where I have ordered the controller from, but I think everything is delayed because of the Coronavirus. I had an email back from Green bike to say shipping would be delayed until mid February "due to a national holiday" (Sounds like the Russians and Chernobyl):)

Don't understand what you mean about the BBS01 controller - you mean physically strapped on as it is a different shape? and what does the lower spec mean?

I will try Brighton bikes as well.
Thanks

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
Thanks Tommy, I don't know what FETS are, but someone else told me that down at the bike shop. I just pretended I understood!

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009

True but the whole pcb is potted in thick silicon too - absolute bugger to remove and ery delicate soldering required With the greatest respect to OP I'm not sure that fix is within his ability ( by own admission!!)

But totally agree motor failure is super unlikely
You are absolutely right there, both in theory and practice! I am OK mechanically, but I just seem to have a bit of my brain missing when it comes to electronics!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Ahh yes, the coronovirus. I forgot about the delivery implications

"strapped on" was just my colourful language. A bbs01 controller fits perfectly but won't deliver as much power to your motor. As a result your 500w bbso2 will feel like a 250w bbs01

But you can get one fast within the uk

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
Ahh yes, the coronovirus. I forgot about the delivery implications

"strapped on" was just my colourful language. A bbs01 controller fits perfectly but won't deliver as much power to your motor. As a result your 500w bbso2 will feel like a 250w bbs01

But you can get one fast within the uk
Thanks for that, I thought it might have not been literal, but you never know!
I will have a mooch about the internet tonight and see what I can find......would the difference be huge? I am not concerned about speed, just pulling power up the hills. I am 73 and have a heart condition so although I put in as much effort as I can, it probably isn't that much. I am 15 stone so that won't help.
Actually thinking about getting a rear hub motor but as far as I can understand, this would't be as good for me as the CD. I mostly ride very minor, poor condition roads, forestry tracks etc round where I live (In Scotland)
I do have another bike my son donated to me so I could put a hub motor on that which uses the same battery as the Bafang, then I could just wait on delivery happening when China is back to normal. Any thoughts?Peter.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Besides the virus, it is currently the Chinese new moon holiday and all goods from China are delayed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Never order form China once their new year ahs started wait for it to end before ordering.

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
Besides the virus, it is currently the Chinese new moon holiday and all goods from China are delayed.
Never even thought of that, they must have been telling the truth saying it wouldn't even be shipped until after the middle of February!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Been a member of this forum since 2009 and got fantastic help on here which helped me get started in ebiking. I remember especially a chap called Flecc, who seemed to know absolutely everything and answered every question going, don't know whether he is still around. I have followed the forum over the years but have never felt competent to answer anybody's questions unfortunately. So, obviously I am here again to ask something!
I have run a BBS02 with a 36 volt battery for about 4 years until it cut out on me and wouldn't work. I have been told that both the LCD display (C961) AND the controller are fried. I have a replacement C961 but the controller, from China, is going to take forever. What I would like to know is if there is any way I can test just the motor itself rather than wait months for the controller only to find the motor is gone as well. I have seperated the controller from the motor and disconnected everything and am left with 3 heavy gauge wires going into the motor YELLOW, GREEN and BLUE. Can I connect the two battery wires to 2 of these wires as a quick check that the motor is working? As you can tell I have zero electrical sense!
Thanks
PeterView attachment 33853
If anyone is not strong on electrics and electronics, playing around can fry a lot more!
My advice is to buy one of those cheap e-bike testers and then you can see if all the fields and the sensors are good in the motor quite easily.
I have seen one in use and it looked very easy:-
I recommend the ones with the LEDs in a circle, as it makes the movement of the motor more obviously to a beginner.
One like this one for example:-
And not one like this:-
I hope this helps.
Andy

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
Hello Andy, thank you for your very helpful reply. I am sorry for the delay in replying but have been in hospital and only just getting on my feet again.
I have ordered a tester and hope it helps me understand at least a little!

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hello Andy, thank you for your very helpful reply. I am sorry for the delay in replying but have been in hospital and only just getting on my feet again.
I have ordered a tester and hope it helps me understand at least a little!
Your input about using the tester will be of great interest to many here who are not dedicated electronics people....you are NOT alone!
The biggest problem will be if your bike does not have the right connectors for the tester. They usually follow each other with the same type of connector, but not always apparently.
The possible answer is in one of two directions:-
1) replace the connectors on the tester, but will erase any guarantee.
2) attach crocodile clips to those leads that are not compatible - this is what I (would) prefer myself as it makes the tester compatible to almost any connector, controller or bike!
Identifying the bike connectors, as in my experience they are not marked, is a possible problem, and before separating anything, mark BOTH sides with say the same number with a permanent marker THAT IS truly permanent! Test!
regards
Andy

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
Hi Andy, thanks for your encouragement and information about the tester.
The motor is currently off the bike and separated from the controller, will I still be able to use the tester as I think some things require the wheel to be turned?
Following advice on this thread and elsewhere when my motor stopped working, the advice was that it would be the controller and very unlikely to be the motor itself. So I bought a new controller, from China, but using the programming lead to connect instead of the display doesn't do anything, the motor is still dead. If I connect in the display, that remains dead too. I have tested this on another setup and it is OK (a C961) and this is why I have ordered the tester, so I can hopefully check the motor itself.
If that turns out to be the case I will have a dead motor and one maybe two controllers!

While I wait for the tester to arrive any thoughts on the problem would be appreciated.

Peter

Attachments

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Have you checked for voltage from your battery? if the display doesn't power up, then it would suggest a problem here or the 4 into 1 cable. Check the battery fuse if it has one.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi Andy, thanks for your encouragement and information about the tester.
The motor is currently off the bike and separated from the controller, will I still be able to use the tester as I think some things require the wheel to be turned?
Following advice on this thread and elsewhere when my motor stopped working, the advice was that it would be the controller and very unlikely to be the motor itself. So I bought a new controller, from China, but using the programming lead to connect instead of the display doesn't do anything, the motor is still dead. If I connect in the display, that remains dead too. I have tested this on another setup and it is OK (a C961) and this is why I have ordered the tester, so I can hopefully check the motor itself.
If that turns out to be the case I will have a dead motor and one maybe two controllers!

While I wait for the tester to arrive any thoughts on the problem would be appreciated.

Peter
Last year, I was shown by a bike shop, how they use a similar/same tester on motors, as its a quick and easy test of bldc Motor fields and hall effect sensors.
The tester has its own battery for such testing.
On the first video below, one of the first things mentioned is that it allows you to diagnose a fault, without needing to guess and purchase the part needed.....
I also found a few more YouTube videos of such testers to "spur" you on, that may also help you further, such as these:-
Do let us all know how you get on.
regards
Andy

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
Have you checked for voltage from your battery? if the display doesn't power up, then it would suggest a problem here or the 4 into 1 cable. Check the battery fuse if it has one.
Hi Pete, thanks for that, but yes the battery voltage is OK - about all I know how to check! - though I am learning courtesy of Andy. 4 into 1 cable has been renewed. Power gets to the controller but then nothing happens.