BBS02 (Old Type Controller) broken, wiring help.

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
Last year, I was shown by a bike shop, how they use a similar/same tester on motors, as its a quick and easy test of bldc Motor fields and hall effect sensors.
The tester has its own battery for such testing.
On the first video below, one of the first things mentioned is that it allows you to diagnose a fault, without needing to guess and purchase the part needed.....
I also found a few more YouTube videos of such testers to "spur" you on, that may also help you further, such as these:-
Do let us all know how you get on.
regards
Andy
Thanks for the reply Andy, and the Brilliant links.
As I am 73 with a heart condition I am soon going to be confined to Barracks! so it is a pity I will have to wait a couple of weeks, at least, for the tester from China, I could have filled my time playing nicely!

I will certainly post how I get on for the benefit of anyone else that is like me, one strand short of a 3 core cable!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks for the reply Andy, and the Brilliant links.
As I am 73 with a heart condition I am soon going to be confined to Barracks! so it is a pity I will have to wait a couple of weeks, at least, for the tester from China, I could have filled my time playing nicely!

I will certainly post how I get on for the benefit of anyone else that is like me, one strand short of a 3 core cable!
No problem, we Pedelecers, stick together and try to help out everyone who asks for assistance!
Also, I always say a Picture (Video) is worth a thousand words!
I found another link, which will help anyone using the tester to see if the controller is functioning correctly when driving the motor! Motor not needed for this test!!
regards
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Those might be ok for older style controllers which use birds nest wiring but not with the tidier waterproof Julet wired ones.
I myself wouldn't waste my money as with a cheap multi meter I can do all the wire testing needed to know where the fault will lie.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Those might be ok for older style controllers which use birds nest wiring but not with the tidier waterproof Julet wired ones.
I myself wouldn't waste my money as with a cheap multi meter I can do all the wire testing needed to know where the fault will lie.
You, like myself, are used to using meters and oscilloscopes, but some here are not so advanced, therefore the tester is a really great help for such people.
Plus, if you buy carefully on ebay, they are actually FAR cheaper than a reasonably accurate Digital Multi Meter, (one that gets the numbers right!), as they start at around 6 UK Pounds!!
Last year, whilst visiting a LBS, I was shown one being used.
Why were they using it? Because it was much faster, and time is money.....No fiddling about with spare parts and connecting them all up with a battery.....
Each to his own preference of course, but please do not criticize what others here do, that is just thoughtless.....
Andy

• Dislike
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Part of what I said is, if you read again they are no good for the newer Julet type controller/systems. And these systems are predominantly being used now on bikes using integrated controllers.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Part of what I said is, if you read again they are no good for the newer Julet type controller/systems. And these systems are predominantly being used now on bikes using integrated controllers.
Part of what I did not say, was actually nothing about the new system, whether correct or not, as this topic was about an older bike.....therefore what you said was really not that useful......so I simply ignored it, not wanting to draw the attention to that, which you have now done!
Looking on e-bay, there seems to be plenty of the previous systems still being sold...or at least offered for sale....
Guessing only, I suspect they largely outweigh, in numbers, any new system at this time, so helping people with older bikes, with no guarantee left, could be most helpful, don't you think?
Have a great day.
Andy

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
Sorry I haven't posted back here, but was unexpectedly taken back into hospital, out again now but straight into isolation as in a vulnerable person! Still haven't got my tester from China, just hoping that the time it will be in transit will mean there are no contamination issues. Who would have thought that would ever be an issue!
Anyway, just to confirm, now that I have seen the additional posts I missed when away.....I am absolutely a novice with electrics and I think Andy is right in assuming getting a tester was my best bet at understanding things. Using a non-intelligent meter would be no good at all to me as I would not be able to interpret the results, but thank you anyway for your input Nealh.
Good to see that bike shops are exempt from the closure order and I found that my local bike shop, Roots cycles in Doune, Perthshire, is prioritising work to deal with those who need their bikes to commute rather than just for leisure, even though it has meant turning work away to make sure he can keep the capacity available. I thought this was brilliant and well in keeping with the community spirit we now all need. I would imagine a lot of local shops are doing this, another plus for the biking community.
Keep Safe everybody
Peter

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Sorry I haven't posted back here, but was unexpectedly taken back into hospital, out again now but straight into isolation as in a vulnerable person! Still haven't got my tester from China, just hoping that the time it will be in transit will mean there are no contamination issues. Who would have thought that would ever be an issue!
Anyway, just to confirm, now that I have seen the additional posts I missed when away.....I am absolutely a novice with electrics and I think Andy is right in assuming getting a tester was my best bet at understanding things. Using a non-intelligent meter would be no good at all to me as I would not be able to interpret the results, but thank you anyway for your input Nealh.
Good to see that bike shops are exempt from the closure order and I found that my local bike shop, Roots cycles in Doune, Perthshire, is prioritising work to deal with those who need their bikes to commute rather than just for leisure, even though it has meant turning work away to make sure he can keep the capacity available. I thought this was brilliant and well in keeping with the community spirit we now all need. I would imagine a lot of local shops are doing this, another plus for the biking community.
Keep Safe everybody
Peter
Let us know when you have received the UNIT. Maybe watch any and all videos showing just how it can be used till then?
I was myself surprised that a LBS here even used one, but the answer from them was "speed of working" and that they could check many new parts without a lot of work!
That was for me a hearty recommendation in itself...
I can read a meter and I understand the results, but maybe I will have to put my money where my mouth is and buy one, just for the "speed" of course!;););)
regards
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Orders from China will be back logged as likely extra measures will be in place as well as man power may be down.
My order from TBK was mean to be 4 - 5 days that was 12 days ago, the recent progress for it is still pending.